SSAA (insurance)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

SSAA (insurance)

Post by Point223 » 02 Feb 2015, 1:17 pm

Hi all,

SSAA Gold Membership available now!

The SSAA can now reveal its new membership category.

After months of meticulous negotiation and feedback from you, our members, the SSAA presents Gold Membership. This new membership option entitles you to $25,000 worth of insurance for firearms and fixed firearm accessories - all for just an extra $25 per annum.

The insurance covers any type of firearm, including antiques and collectables, and any fixed firearms accessories, such as scopes and slings, both in the home and while in use. It also covers the firearms and fixed firearms accessories for any theft or loss, and even when taken overseas for up to 28 days.
Members can apply for Gold Membership now, with the $25 flat fee due again when you renew your standard membership.

The option is an affordable choice for existing and new SSAA members and was created in response to member feedback about how we can expand our member services and benefits. It means members who receive the Australian Shooter magazine as a ‘Shooter Only’ member will pay just $108 per year to include this insurance in their membership.

Upgrade to GOLD Membership today!

Pretty good deal if you ask me!
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: SSAA (insurance)

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Feb 2015, 2:39 pm

Yep, received my email today re Gold Membership. :?: :thumbsup:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 03 Feb 2015, 8:58 am

Sounds good.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Octane » 04 Feb 2015, 1:16 pm

Point223 wrote:SSAA Gold Membership available now!

Didn't they do this 2-3 months ago? :huh:

Remember talking about it a while ago.

Good coverage for the fee though either way :thumbsup:
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by nords » 04 Feb 2015, 1:17 pm

It was announced late last year but not available until Feb 1st this year :thumbsup:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 04 Feb 2015, 1:36 pm

Already paid my $25 cause that's outstanding value, pity I couldn't pay another $75 to get $100k coverage.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Swarm » 05 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm

brett1868 wrote:Already paid my $25 cause that's outstanding value, pity I couldn't pay another $75 to get $100k coverage.

I wouldn't be bitching if I could afford your toys :P
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by tactice » 05 Feb 2015, 6:42 pm

Yeah poor Brett.

Only has $100k worth of guns. Deprived I tell you!

:lol: :D
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by chacka » 06 Feb 2015, 2:56 pm

Bargain price if your shooters aren't covered in your home contents insurance.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 06 Feb 2015, 3:30 pm

chacka wrote:Bargain price if your shooters aren't covered in your home contents insurance.

Just check with the insurance company 'cause under a lot of policies, firearms are NOT covered unless they are separately listed and subject to the usual 27 conditions.

I've received my renewal for contents insurance just now and it's gone up $100. Why?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 06 Feb 2015, 4:52 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because they think your stupid and if you don't query them then you are
!!!!They'll tell you it's to do with the CPI but the truth is their a pack of criminal assholes ...
Let them know your off to another company and sit back and watch the price come down!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 08 Feb 2015, 11:48 am

Westy wrote:They'll tell you it's to do with the CPI

Funny how CPI goes up 3% and prices go up 30% though isn't it.

Someone must have a sticky 0 key on the keyboard :lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Westy » 08 Feb 2015, 7:38 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Funny like diarrhoea !!!!!! LMAO
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 09 Feb 2015, 10:50 am

RoginaJack wrote:Just check with the insurance company 'cause under a lot of policies, firearms are NOT covered unless they are separately listed and subject to the usual 27 conditions.

Which is such BS. They're just another possession the same as your toaster or TV.

And in fact, unlike your TV they're stored in a safe making them 100x harder to steal!

Premium should go down for how much of the sum you're insured for is secured firearms.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Point223 » 09 Feb 2015, 2:12 pm

Bourt wrote:Which is such BS. They're just another possession the same as your toaster or TV.

And in fact, unlike your TV they're stored in a safe making them 100x harder to steal!

Premium should go down for how much of the sum you're insured for is secured firearms.

Not taking the Insurance companies side but firearms are highly sought items by criminals and theives making the premium go up. Similiar to insuring an old s**t box toyota camry as opposed to insuring a brand new twin turbo Mazda RX7.
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 09 Feb 2015, 3:48 pm

$25 pa with $100 excess on a claim. Can't go wrong really, can you?
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Feb 2015, 5:30 pm

Bourt wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Just check with the insurance company 'cause under a lot of policies, firearms are NOT covered unless they are separately listed and subject to the usual 27 conditions.

Which is such BS. They're just another possession the same as your toaster or TV.

Honestly, words fail me!
If you think for 1 second that "weapons" are classified as "just another possession the same as your toaster or TV." by ANY insurance company, and don't have to be listed then go right ahead.
I presume that you checked and confirmed this with your insurance company beforehand?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 09 Feb 2015, 5:50 pm

Went to the SSAA @ Belmont yesterday to sign up and dopey/whinge whine Garry goes what the hell are you all talking about???? We here @ the QLD Branch of the SSAA no nothing about this WTF!!!!!National SSAA might be alright but the Queensland Mob leave a lot to be desired !!!!Serious get your s**t together will you ,you take enough from us how about giving a s**t occasionally guys!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 09 Feb 2015, 6:53 pm

RoginaJack,

I think you will find he was having a go at insurance companies stance, not your post. To me he is suggesting that firearms should just be part of the insurance policy as an item treated no differently to other items, except they are secured more than a tv or toaster therefore less chance of being stolen which I totally I agree.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Feb 2015, 8:53 pm

HHmm, just doesn't read that way to me. :crazy:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 10 Feb 2015, 7:49 am

RoginaJack wrote:Honestly, words fail me!
If you think for 1 second that "weapons" are classified as "just another possession the same as your toaster or TV." by ANY insurance company, and don't have to be listed then go right ahead.
I presume that you checked and confirmed this with your insurance company beforehand?

In my case they are, when I asked- face to face- about firearms I was advised to keep an accurate list and any relevent documentation to be able to prove value in the event of theft. If there were any specific items that were of high value(i.e. over $10,000 or hundreds of years old) let them know (which is no different to an ordinary householder having a McCubbin painting etc) but apart from that as long as they were stored according to the law there was no issue as in comparison to general household items that are stolen, firearm payouts are a drop in the ocean.

I know this isn't the case with many, perhaps most and definately two that I know of but my insurance crowd is pretty good. I won't name them as it brings on all sorts of issues.

Insurance is basically a fee for them taking a risk and as long as the statistics are in their favour they don't care whether it is a $1000 flat screen or a .223 howa- except heaven help you if firearms aren't according to the law as you won't get a cent.

Shop around, don't accept the first or cheapest quote. Common sense really. Any doubt ask your insurance company as the onus(duty of disclosure) is on you.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bourt » 11 Feb 2015, 7:26 am

RoginaJack wrote:HHmm, just doesn't read that way to me. :crazy:

Wasn't having a go at you, was talking about insurance company policies being BS.

Any other sport is fine.

Your $1,000 golf clubs sitting in the office are covered.

Your $1,000 surf board hung on the wall is covered.

Your $1,000 rifle locked in a safe bolted to the wall? Woah now! We're suddenly scared and won't cover that.

It's crap.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Redwood » 11 Feb 2015, 7:27 am

handofcod wrote:$25 pa with $100 excess on a claim. Can't go wrong really, can you?

Nope, that's good value by any standard.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 11 Feb 2015, 7:37 am

RoginaJack wrote:Honestly, words fail me!

I'm with RACV here in Victoria and asked directly (and read the policy ;)).

They're the same a Warrigul has mentioned basically. I have to take photos or have receipts of them to prove I had them if they were stolen, just the same as any other possession. I did not have to specify or pay extra for their coverage, they are just treated like another possession.

That's the only company I've been with, no idea about others.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Feb 2015, 4:07 pm

Bourt wrote:Wasn't having a go at you, was talking about insurance company policies being BS.

Fair enough, sorry. :friends:

I'm not with RACV but the other motoring body.

The equation is -
Weapons or "Portable Contents - Sporting and recreational items" account for only 5% of total contents insurance amount but by deleting only
the sporting items reduces the overall costs by some 23%. :crazy:
Basic excess is $300 per claim and to further reduce the premium, increase excess to $500. :unknown:
I think that $300 per claim is just too excessive to start with.
Solution.
Upgraded to SSAA Gold membership for $25.00, basic excess is $100, coverage for $25,000. and includes overseas coverage for up to 28 days. :clap:
Now, with $25,000 coverage and spare space in the cabinet, there is a beautiful Walnut stocked European B.A. left handed rifle, S/S barrel in 30.06 cal. & Bushnell Scope I was fondly in N.Z. last month. The little bit of threaded tubular metal on the business end could prove a problem over here but I'll work on that. Can't waste all that extra coverage!

Cheers,
Last edited by RoginaJack on 12 Feb 2015, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 12 Feb 2015, 2:46 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Fair enough, sorry. :friends:

It's all good :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Seik » 12 Feb 2015, 2:48 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I think that $300 per claim is just too excessive to start with.

That's the idea, make it not worth your while claiming for small stuff.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 12 Feb 2015, 2:49 pm

Above...

I had a window smashed during a break in a while back. The excess was about $80 more than the cost of replacing the window :problem:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Point223 » 19 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

It's a no brainer
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales