Pull through knife sharpeners

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Pull through knife sharpeners

Post by mobo » 03 Mar 2015, 9:12 am

What's peoples experience with these things?

Pros? Cons?

I'm not great at doing it with the stone, if anyone can suggest a good one I'd appreciate it.

water-sharpener.jpg
water-sharpener.jpg (12.02 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Pull through knife sharpeners

Post by Farmjer » 03 Mar 2015, 1:33 pm

Depends on the sharpener.

I've used one which was decent... Not exactly a razor edge on the blade but would sharpen a kitchen knife well enough for a few dinners.

I've used another which was incredibly hard on the blade and you could hear it grinding layers off the blade and see the edge going down. You would have destroyed your knives in a year using it regularly.

Both no name brands sorry though so don't know.

I see the global knife there, if that's a Global brand sharpener you would think it's going to be good as they're a renowned quality knife.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Octane » 03 Mar 2015, 1:39 pm

Just make sure you get the right sharpening for your knives type of steel.

European and Japanese steels are different and require different stones/ceramics/tools to sharpen.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Octane » 06 Mar 2015, 10:17 am

edit: double post....
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bawoog » 06 Mar 2015, 10:18 am

If you don't go with one and want some advise on other sharpening methods there is heaps here :)

Knive sharpening advice
bawoog
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 06 Mar 2015, 10:21 am

Farmjer wrote:I see the global knife there, if that's a Global brand sharpener you would think it's going to be good as they're a renowned quality knife.

It's the Minosharp which is Globals one.

I normally use stone/steel but watching the Global video on their sharpener it looks to do a pretty good job and from a reputable knife brand I wouldn't think they're damaging like some are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=timxVyO_-Nc

$40 at my local shops, thinking about getting one this weekend.... Getting lazy :lol:

There are some shocking ones though. My mother picked up one from some Salvos or somewhere for a few bucks to give it a try, it was like sand coming off the blade it was so harsh.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 06 Mar 2015, 10:23 am

Cons... Haven't used one that wasn't crap.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mobo » 06 Mar 2015, 10:24 am

Lorgar wrote:$40 at my local shops, thinking about getting one this weekend.... Getting lazy :lol:

If you do let me know :thumbsup:

Video makes it look the goods though.
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 06 Mar 2015, 10:39 am

Vati wrote:Cons... Haven't used one that wasn't crap.

Every one that I have tried is crap, so far.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2015, 5:00 pm

I'm getting a set of Paper Wheels from Corin next week, I bought a Bench Grinder today from Bunnings for $70 and a set of the wheels to suit the 10" grinder are $121+ postage (8" wheels are around $90 + postage) - finally I'll have sharp knives after many attempts with different things from Lansky, pull through sharpeners of all sorts none have every really given good results, tried stones too, this will work I have no doubt about it (I know quite a few who have switched over to them and won't be going back anytime soon!!!

This system sharpens them so quick and easy its perfect for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcBcd7cTs44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jUbaZOQ-fQ
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by handofcod » 06 Mar 2015, 8:42 pm

Could be wrong but other more knowledgible people than me have warned me off than as the pull through sharpeners gouge metal off the edge so you get micro serations that give the appearance of sharpness until the teeth break off and it goes dull again.

For long lasting sharp nothing beats a hand polished edge like a strop. That's what I use.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2015, 9:00 pm

handofcod wrote:Could be wrong but other more knowledgible people than me have warned me off than as the pull through sharpeners gouge metal off the edge so you get micro serations that give the appearance of sharpness until the teeth break off and it goes dull again.

For long lasting sharp nothing beats a hand polished edge like a strop. That's what I use.

Yeah I've used one of those electronic ones before, did a crappy job to be honest, I threw it out from memory :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 07 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm

Try one of these seems to work Bloody awesome!!!!
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.53 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Mar 2015, 6:46 pm

Belts and Paper Wheels are the best and quickest way to sharpen knives - I won't be going back to stones or any of those other gimmick knife sharpeners ever again. Look how quick and easy it can be with a belt sander and the belt sander can be used for all sorts of other sanding/grinding jobs too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptspof6CXOg
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jubble » 07 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

Westy wrote:Try one of these seems to work Bloody awesome!!!!

:shock: Looks like some crazy torture machine
jubble
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Westy » 07 Mar 2015, 8:15 pm

jubble wrote:

Sure does but it works better and faster than any old wheel or belt

Warthog sharpener really fast and user friendly in the field for when you leave your power points at home!!!!! :crazy: :wtf: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a oldie but a goodie

http://youtu.be/zleVA9yxdm8
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm

Westy wrote:
jubble wrote:

Sure does but it works better and faster than any old wheel or belt

Warthog sharpener really fast and user friendly in the field for when you leave your power points at home!!!!! :crazy: :wtf: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a oldie but a goodie

http://youtu.be/zleVA9yxdm8

The clever people don't go out in the field with blunt knives to start with :lol: and those that need to touch em up can use the window on their vehicles or a steel if need be.

I wouldn't like to put a profile on a blade with that Warthog thing! :lol: :lol: you'd be there forever - the paper wheel s**ts all over those gimmicky things super fast and a razor sharp edge in a matter of seconds. After all how bad can the Paper Wheel system be when custom knife makers use em and recommend em? :D

But you keep using ol school mate, it matches the Plastikka nicely :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 07 Mar 2015, 9:01 pm

One word... no.

Just no.

Don't do it.

Anything that takes a lot of steel off your blade is bad. Got lazy for a while and ran a few of my knives over diamond hones when ever they got a bit dull. Over a year or two i could see them dwindling away. Tested plenty of pull through types on cheap knives... ever seen the profile on an old Whiltshire stay sharp that's been in and out of the scabbard for years??? Do you want your knives looking like that???

Gone back to my tried and true method of stones/steels/strops. Once a year, yearly in the new year, i re-profile the edge whether it needs it or not (taking minimum off, just a fresh bevel), then it's just a steel for the rest of the year, every time i pick up the knife; if it gets out of shape a few strokes on a fine stone to clean it up.

I'll never split a hair with my knives but have no trouble what so ever cutting what ever i need to cut.

Just no, i say. Take some time and learn to use stones properly. I was taught pretty young when cutting ebony with a block plane in a violin work shop. Was on the wet wheel at least twice a day and the stone and strop about 3 times in between... got in trouble if he didn't see me sharpen it regularly, just 1/2 a hairs width off the edge.

Point is, keep the edge clean and straight and you wont need to remove much steel.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Westy » 08 Mar 2015, 7:36 am

bigfellascott wrote:The clever people don't go out in the field with blunt knives to start with :lol: and those that need to touch em up can use the window on their vehicles or a steel if need be.

I wouldn't like to put a profile on a blade with that Warthog thing! :lol: :lol: you'd be there forever - the paper wheel s**ts all over those gimmicky things super fast and a razor sharp edge in a matter of seconds. After all how bad can the Paper Wheel system be when custom knife makers use em and recommend em? :D

But you keep using ol school mate, it matches the Plastikka nicely :D

Yep as always No idea I guess you've never butchered a deer so you wouldn't have a clue as normal just shoot the BIG FAT MOUTH OFF Again !!! For the other normal people here when hitting bone a tough sinue while striping down a carcase it can really TAKE THE EDGE OFF YOUR KNIFE SO HAVING EITHER 2 KNIVES OR A SHARPNER IN THE FEILD IS A BONUS!!! But real hunters would more than likely already know this one!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Zilla » 08 Mar 2015, 10:47 am

Lorgar wrote:I normally use stone/steel but watching the Global video on their sharpener it looks to do a pretty good job and from a reputable knife brand I wouldn't think they're damaging like some are.

Guess you'll see.

A lot of good brands don't make these kinds of sharpeners at all too though so that's an indication.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment