SSAA magazine delivery and security concern

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

SSAA magazine delivery and security concern

Post by paps » 11 Mar 2015, 9:14 am

Maybe being paranoid, but does anyone else have any reservations about receiving the SSAA mag which clearly advertises the fact the occupant is a shooter.

Not having a go at the SSAA here about anything, but with mail getting stolen or people fishing for information or whatever they're going to know what's in the house if they find the magazine.

Just me or.... ?
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: SSAA magazine delivery and security concern

Post by Jack V » 11 Mar 2015, 9:58 am

Your concern is very valid. My main concern is having it delivered to your letter box outside your house and they leave it sticking out for everyone to see .
I have mine delivered to a post office box . Now that the Government is attacking pensioners incomes and assistances with such ferocity I can see a day very soon when I will no longer be able to pay for the PO box and then I will try and cancel the magazine . If the SSAA will not just cancel it's delivery , not seeking any cheaper membership , then I might cancel SSAA and go with a local hunting club . The magazine is of no use to me personally so I am quite happy not to receive it .
The problem is the SSAA quotes it circulation numbers based on kinda forcing it's members to take it .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by BRNOmod2 » 11 Mar 2015, 10:09 am

I too have had concerns about this issue for some time. I have a couple different shooting mags delivered and my postman seems to specialize in leaving it hanging out the mailbox for all n sundry to see I get shooting mags delivered. Previously I have send letters to the publishers about putting the white cover piece of paper (that they all seem to have inside the plastic bag) over the cover, instead of covering the rear page which is just advertising, to go some way to obscuring the blaring obvious fact that its a shooting mag, but got response - perhaps if many of us wrote to the publishers they may take some notice..........
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by North East » 11 Mar 2015, 10:18 am

Not a member of SSAA so it doesn't worry me.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Mar 2015, 10:46 am

Might be time for the SSAA to think about sending out the Mag. electronically to those who want it. The SSAA news letter is available this way, so maybe time for the mag. too.

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 12 Mar 2015, 12:08 pm

I've had the same though.

For mail security in general, not just worries about the mag, I replaced my mailbox with one of these kinds of ones.

mailbox.JPG
mailbox.JPG (7.15 KiB) Viewed 3728 times

Big enough to feel magazine size stuff into, not just letters. Narrow opening and fin along the top/front and padlock on the back.

Once the mailman drops it in you can't see in, or reach with your fingers, so no one can easily snoop through your mail. They'd have to bold-cut off the padlock to take something which isn't likely.....

$50 or something at Bunnings. Better than having your mail stuffed and hanging out for anyone to see.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Mar 2015, 12:09 pm

BRNOmod2 wrote:I have a couple different shooting mags delivered and my postman seems to specialize in leaving it hanging out the mailbox for all n sundry to see I get shooting mags delivered.

Yep, avoiding that is why I went with a box like above.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 12 Mar 2015, 12:14 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Might be time for the SSAA to think about sending out the Mag. electronically to those who want it.

It's an idea, but digital and print are apples and oranges in terms of advertising.

They couldn't demand anywhere near the same fees for advertising in a digital version of their publication. A significant decline in willing advertisers is the only reason I can see them discontinuing the print magazine.

2c.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Sifor » 12 Mar 2015, 6:09 pm

I have contacted the SSAA about this. Not just magazine delivery as their normal envelopes also have their logo plastered on it.

Their response was along the lines of 'thanks for letting us know about your thoughts, it will be passed on to the relevant team'.
Sifor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2015, 7:00 pm

paps wrote:Maybe being paranoid, but does anyone else have any reservations about receiving the SSAA mag which clearly advertises the fact the occupant is a shooter.

Not having a go at the SSAA here about anything, but with mail getting stolen or people fishing for information or whatever they're going to know what's in the house if they find the magazine.

Just me or.... ?

paps u read my mind. My mag arrived just today and I had the same thought. Ssaa should mail it out more discreatly. Imho. TAKE NOTICE SSAA.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 12 Mar 2015, 7:13 pm

paps wrote:Maybe being paranoid, but does anyone else have any reservations about receiving the SSAA mag which clearly advertises the fact the occupant is a shooter.

Just me or.... ?

not just you by the looks of it :lol: no big deal for me :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2015, 7:41 pm

Not paranoid, just makes sense not to advertise.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sooey » 13 Mar 2015, 1:38 pm

Sifor wrote:Their response was along the lines of 'thanks for letting us know about your thoughts, it will be passed on to the relevant team'.

Shredder and bin, the team. :lol:
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Antie » 13 Mar 2015, 1:39 pm

I never stressed over it but definitely not a fan of advertising the fact.
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment