8mm Mauser and ammo

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

8mm Mauser and ammo

Post by jays » 17 Mar 2015, 8:13 am

Hi Guys,

Have an opportunity to get an 8mm Mauser cheap.

Friend of a friend arrangement here. Know the conditions is good, price is good etc. Will be my first 'old' rifle added to the collection :)

How available is ammo for this? Factory and reloading if I decided to go that was as well?

Thanks.
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: 8mm Mauser and ammo

Post by Warrigul » 17 Mar 2015, 8:42 am

8 x 57 is readily available in major shops, reloading gear isn't any harder to come by and it costs about the same as .303 to reaload projectiles being the expensive bit. The only issue with how old it is, some sporting rifles and those before the turn of the century may be a .318" bore not a .323" bore so you need to find out as the .318" bore rifles are best left as lookers.

I shoot a couple of old mausers and they are no issue but a 7.62 isreali is always going to be cheaper to run, but they all shoot well if in reasonable order. If the bolt doesn't match it may pay to get it checked for headspace but often they are fine.

Keep us all informed please.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 17 Mar 2015, 10:51 am

milsurp used to be available, out of Sydney, havent seen it advertised for a while... reloading gear available just as any other.

What type of Mauser is it? Make sure is a M98 if its an 8mm, you'd be hard pressed to find an 8x57i chambered, as opposed to the larger bored 8x57is, most were rearsenaled back in the day (100+yrs ago) except for the privately held rifles I guess...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by jays » 18 Mar 2015, 2:06 pm

Warrigul wrote:The only issue with how old it is, some sporting rifles and those before the turn of the century may be a .318" bore not a .323" bore so you need to find out as the .318" bore rifles are best left as lookers.

No idea about that TBH :huh:

Will have to ask more and find out, though it's mostly been fed factory ammo and shot fine with it so hopefully that's meaning its .323?
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by jays » 18 Mar 2015, 2:07 pm

1290 wrote:What type of Mauser is it? Make sure is a M98 if its an 8mm

Yep, an M98 this one :)
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 18 Mar 2015, 2:07 pm

Factory ammo is common enough.

Able to be reloaded with the usual benefits too.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles