Not the usual suspects

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Not the usual suspects

Post by sally-bee » 17 Mar 2015, 3:23 pm

Hi all,

Admittedly an inexperienced shooter here so could just be me but here it is.

I notice in conversations most people are shooting one of a handful of brands. Tikka, Remington, Ruger, Howa and maybe Savage. Marlin a bit less, some CZ, Browning, Winchester and Sako.

Sounds like a lot but I see others which people hardly ever mention. Steyr, Surgeon rifles, Zastava, Thompson, Taurus...... A few like Armalite and Christensen rifles but I know they're very expensive so that's understandable.

Just curious I guess.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Not the usual suspects

Post by North East » 17 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm

Everyone has a favourite I guess. Most modern firearms are accurate and all will do the job. A lot depends on how much you to spend.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 3:55 pm

You forgot the best gun off all a Sako !
It's a fact that more expensive usually means better but not always . Shooting skill , reloading skill , gun tuning skill all play a big part , so some people with fairly cheap guns can shoot just as good as some with very expensive ones because they may have extra skills . However take the very skilful shooter and give him the best gun possible and he will beat us all.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by fenderstrat » 17 Mar 2015, 7:24 pm

Not a fan of modern rifles myself.... I own a Lithgow SMLE in .303, and now a Mauser 98k in .308. Neither of those has a scope... I'll admit its harder to use iron sights over long ranges but thats the way i like it...
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 17 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

I probably would have a steyr and sako but when I bought my rifles I was on apprentice wages it was a matter of get a cheaper (but perfectly decent) rifle now or save an extra few months. But at the end of the day I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2015, 7:34 pm

North East wrote:Everyone has a favourite I guess. Most modern firearms are accurate and all will do the job. A lot depends on how much you to spend.

Spot on.

And you often pay a lot for the furniture, but the action will be identical.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 17 Mar 2015, 8:05 pm

Here's the brands I have, in no particular order...
Sako, Desert Tech, Marlin, Henry, PWS, Steyr, McMillan, Weatherby, Akkar, Barrett and Mossburg I think covers them all. No Tikka or Howa, not because they are not a good rifle but because they won't on the shelf when I went shopping. Although there's a very nice little Tikka on the agenda shortly... Rifles are a bit like cars, every one has different likes, requirements and budgets and just because a certain brand is cheaper doesn't make it any less accurate. The most accurate rifle I've ever owned was a Russian Vostok single shot 22LR that consistently grouped 1/4" @ 50m and only cost me $99 brand new. My >$10,000 Steyr can't match that accuracy.
Don't pay too much attention to brandnames, choose something that's a good fit for you, that's comfortable to shoot then worry about the badge.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 17 Mar 2015, 9:16 pm

I Have all customs in wildcat cartridges but have owned most other brands christensen arms was the worst by far and was returned.
With factory rifles you get a great shooter or a bad 1, so thats why i have gone custom for the last ten years and they all shoot better than I can . My next build is a 375 cheytac . Berger are releasing their new projectiles this year.
7mm Dakota. 6mm dasher, 338 edge and 375 cheytac on the build now.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 9:21 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Not a fan of modern rifles myself.... I own a Lithgow SMLE in .303, and now a Mauser 98k in .308. Neither of those has a scope... I'll admit its harder to use iron sights over long ranges but thats the way i like it...

I bet money if I put my Sako 308 / 338 neck match chamber gun in your hands and you experienced how good it shoots you would dump the 303 in the river speaking metaphorically that is .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oneshot270 » 17 Mar 2015, 10:38 pm

Like the others have said get something that suits you and the kind of shooting you will be doing. If you only intend to buy 1 or 2 rifles get something decent but if you just want a utility rifle go something cheaper. I've used a $15,000 .425 Wesley Richards to hunt Buffalo but I preferred to use our backup rifles which were a .375 H&H & .458 WIN MAG in Brno 602's simple less than $1,000 and deadly accurate. It's horses for courses but it all comes down to budget.
"One shot one kill"
Remington 700 ADL .270 WIN Burris 3-9x40
1917 BSA No1 Mk3 .303 Brit
Marlin 336CS 30-30 WIN Redfield 2-7x33
Remington 700 SPS .223 Bushnell 4-16x40
CZ452 .22LR Nikko Stirling 6x40
Mossberg 395 12ga
Boito O/U Nickel 12ga
Oneshot270
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by sally-bee » 18 Mar 2015, 10:42 am

Jack V wrote:You forgot the best gun off all a Sako !

Added Sako just for you Jack :P

Price doesn't mean quality, you're right. Seems more to the sides than just that though.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Rippah » 18 Mar 2015, 10:44 am

sally-bee wrote:Sounds like a lot but I see others which people hardly ever mention. Steyr, Surgeon rifles, Zastava, Thompson, Taurus...... A few like Armalite and Christensen rifles but I know they're very expensive so that's understandable.

Steyr ain't cheap either.
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 18 Mar 2015, 10:45 am

sally-bee wrote:Added Sako just for you Jack :P

You're too kind :)
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chickenhawk » 18 Mar 2015, 10:45 am

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:Berger are releasing their new projectiles this year.

New projectiles? Do tell...
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by fenderstrat » 18 Mar 2015, 1:37 pm

Jack V wrote:I bet money if I put my Sako 308 / 338 neck match chamber gun in your hands and you experienced how good it shoots you would dump the 303 in the river speaking metaphorically that is .

Unlikely, to me nothing beats the feel of a piece of history in your hands... that being said, i wouldnt mind trying one of those! :lol:
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 18 Mar 2015, 1:40 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Unlikely, to me nothing beats the feel of a piece of history in your hands... that being said, i wouldnt mind trying one of those! :lol:

Yup,

Nothing beats using an old military rifle,

Often super accurate = super boring.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jack V » 18 Mar 2015, 1:43 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Unlikely, to me nothing beats the feel of a piece of history in your hands... that being said, i wouldnt mind trying one of those! :lol:

I do appreciate a bit of history myself and no one can minimise the contribution of the SMLE rifles or the Mauser 98 . I would not mind a 308W take down on a No 4 action but it costs too much to do.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 18 Mar 2015, 3:03 pm

Warrigul wrote:Often super accurate = super boring.

Mmm, yes and no.

I'll take a 'super accurate' rifle any day. But I'm buggered if I can figure out these guys that drop $4k on an expensive target rig and shoot at 100m or 200m all day.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles