Nikon, Vortex or Leupold

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Nikon, Vortex or Leupold

Post by cala90 » 10 Mar 2015, 11:04 pm

In the process of buying a scope for my new 223. I've narrowed it down to these 3 -

- Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 (lifetime warranty)
- Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC (unsure of warranty?)
- Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 (VIP lifetime warranty)

Which of these 3 would be the best way to go? Personally I like the Nikon and Vortex over the Leupold but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Matt
Ruger American 22LR
Howa 1500 Varmint Fluted 223
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Nikon, Vortex or Leupold

Post by Sav » 11 Mar 2015, 5:52 am

I've got a leupold and a Nikon. I personally like my leupold more especially at night it seems to be better in low light
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by cala90 » 11 Mar 2015, 4:19 pm

Thanks Sav. I think I'm leaning towards the Leupold. Just not sure whether I should spend the extra money. Do you know if the Nikon has a lifetime warranty aswell? I've been told they do in the US but I'm not sure about here..
Ruger American 22LR
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by chrispy88 » 11 Mar 2015, 4:41 pm

I have a VX1 on my .22, fantastic scope. Also have a Vortex (albeit a Viper PST) going on my 223 and have found them to be fantastic glass for the money.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2015, 7:25 am

I have two Vortex Diamondback rifle scopes. One is the 3-9 you are after, the other is a 4-12 AO. Both are good and reliable. Clear and work under a spot well enough for the money. In fact, i'm impressed enough to be looking at upgrading to Vortex HS-T for my heavy barrel 223rem to use at extended range and saving the 3-9 for when i get a hunter handed 223 for pest control within 200m.

Can't compare them to loopi or nikon, but at the price i am a happy customer.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by tactice » 12 Mar 2015, 2:35 pm

Can't go wrong with the Leupold IMO.

Not fancy, just good quality and clarity for a good price.

Can't ask for more from an entry level scope :thumbsup:
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by cala90 » 12 Mar 2015, 2:43 pm

Gwion wrote:I have two Vortex Diamondback rifle scopes. One is the 3-9 you are after, the other is a 4-12 AO. Both are good and reliable. Clear and work under a spot well enough for the money. In fact, i'm impressed enough to be looking at upgrading to Vortex HS-T for my heavy barrel 223rem to use at extended range and saving the 3-9 for when i get a hunter handed 223 for pest control within 200m.

Can't compare them to loopi or nikon, but at the price i am a happy customer.

Thanks mate! I have actually been looking at the Diamondback 4-12x40 AO. I like the idea of the VIP Lifetime Warranty. (I know the Leupold has that as well but it's a bit more of a stretch for their 4-12).
Ruger American 22LR
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by creet » 12 Mar 2015, 3:06 pm

I have a Vortex and love it.

Agree that the Leupolds are good scopes too though. Just as good assuming you're happy with the reticle.
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50mm
creet
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 12 Mar 2015, 3:09 pm

cala90 wrote:- Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 (lifetime warranty)
- Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC (unsure of warranty?)
- Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 (VIP lifetime warranty)

Not having a go here or anything but it's the nature of these kinds of questions you give people 3 options and a 3rd will vote for each one making it a bit pointless :lol:

Leupold and Vortex are both quality scopes. I haven't got much personal experience with the Nikon but the Prostaff usually get a decent vote.

Warranty is nice but check what it actually covers. Most scopes don't fail but get damage or smashed which isn't covered anyway.

Reticle is a big part. I would look through all 3 if you haven't already and decide based on that. If it was me.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cala90 » 12 Mar 2015, 5:54 pm

Yeah I know :lol: but I figured it would be the easiest way to get peoples opinions rather than making a thread for each scope.

Well after speaking to my LGS they suggested a higher power than 3-9. Apparently he sells a lot of the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40AO and doesn't stock the Diamondback because they just don't sell.

He suggested a few Bushnells - the AR 3-12x40 AO ($245), AR 4.5-18 AO ($290) and the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44. Anyone had anything to do with these? I hadn't really looked into Bushnell up until now. The Legend comes with a limited lifetime warranty at $460.
Ruger American 22LR
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm

Don't know that you really need so much mag on a 223rem but if that's what you want, then that's what you want.

Personally (because i have and it's working fine; see bullet holes at 100m and spotlight game out to 200m), i'd go with the DIamondback 3-9x40 (saw tham on special online) $255. Ditch the rail that comes with the Howa Varmint and get a GameReaper (DNZ) one piece mount and call it done.

But of course, i'm only saying that because that's what i ended up doing after huge deliberation over what scope, what mag.... etc, etc. The GameReaper has proven a huge improvement over the rail and mounts i had.

Hope you find something soon and get that baby shooting.

Cheers
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by FuzzyM » 12 Mar 2015, 8:49 pm

What do you actually want to use the rifle for?
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cala90 » 12 Mar 2015, 9:07 pm

FuzzyM wrote:What do you actually want to use the rifle for?

Mainly fox shooting day and night.
Ruger American 22LR
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 14 Mar 2015, 11:43 am

3-9 or 4x12 should be fine. 3-9 is the usual but 4-12 is also fine IMO for hunting.

I agree 4x is about the highest minimum magnification you'd want though. Any more than that as a minimum and it starts to limit your FOV too much and make target acquisition that bit more difficult.

4x is still enough for closer shots but the 12x gives you that extra range which can be handy.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 14 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm

I'm a big fan of Nikon cameras and lenses so I bought a Prostaff 3-9x40
Dissapointed to say the least, out of focus out of the box, even after having it corrected it's not great.
Though for a cheap scope it's not bad, build quality is good and the turrets are nice and positive, may be I just got a lemon.
Purchased a Votex Diamondback 6-12x40 as a replacement and don't regret it, the only minor dislike is the turrets not as positive ase the Nikon.
My son's got a Leupold 1-4x20 excelent scope, just not strong enough for my eyes.
Guess it proves you get what you pay for.
In that vain I wish I could afford something like a Swarovski or Nightforce just to see what I'm missing out on (or just MISSING :!: )
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kelix » 16 Mar 2015, 1:59 pm

There are plenty of good scopes well below the NF price tag ;)
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Mar 2015, 3:22 pm

anthillinside wrote:I'm a big fan of Nikon cameras and lenses so I bought a Prostaff 3-9x40
Dissapointed to say the least, out of focus out of the box, even after having it corrected it's not great.
Though for a cheap scope it's not bad, build quality is good and the turrets are nice and positive, may be I just got a lemon.
Purchased a Votex Diamondback 6-12x40 as a replacement and don't regret it, the only minor dislike is the turrets not as positive ase the Nikon.
My son's got a Leupold 1-4x20 excelent scope, just not strong enough for my eyes.
Guess it proves you get what you pay for.
In that vain I wish I could afford something like a Swarovski or Nightforce just to see what I'm missing out on (or just MISSING :!: )

Well I can tell you my experience with comparing my Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 and my mates Swaro (can't remember the mag range now) but we were out in the field a while back sighting in his rifles with swaro's on them and we did a little comparison side by side and neither of us could see any real diff! :lol: I've compared them at light last time we were out and I didn't see any great diff there either :unknown: :unknown:

And that's not the first time I've compared diff Swaros and Zeiss scopes to the little Nikon either, even one of the higher end Leupolds which was on a mates Sako wasn't as good as the Nikon (the Leupold didn't show the contrast in grass as well at around 300m away) you could see more detail with the Nikon. :unknown:

I certainly wouldn't have believed it until we did the comparisons - even another fella who we went a way on a trip with was surprised just how well the Nikon went against the Swaro, so much so he went out and bought a Nikon!! :lol: We tested both under a spotlight on a tree at around 300m from memory and again there was SFA diff between them which really surprised him (not me as I'd been comparing the Nikon against the other higher end stuff for a while and really couldn't see anything about the Swaro that said I really need one.

Don't get me wrong nice scopes but the the $$$ I really would want to see something extra special when comparing them to the cheaper stuff, I will say that in the higher mag range I'd go a better brand as I really thing that is where the cheaper ones struggle but for the 3-9x50 range I didn't see anything that would warrant me racing out and buying one.

We are all in or near enough to our 50's so maybe that has something to do with it I don't know (I don't wear glasses and I don't think the other 2 do either) :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by FuzzyM » 16 Mar 2015, 7:44 pm

Just got me first Leupold the other day.
Pretty simple, VXI 2-7x33 on my .303.
Clear glass, build quality is nice, I know it is trustworthy.

Probably gonna get one of these for the .223 when I have some $$$:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191504523138 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Good features on the Nikon for the price.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 17 Mar 2015, 10:51 am

anthillinside wrote:I'm a big fan of Nikon cameras and lenses so I bought a Prostaff 3-9x40

I'm also a fan of the Nikon SLR stuff.

Shame the scopes don't measure up given the quality of their other lines :(

(That's assuming you didn't just get a rare lemon)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 18 Mar 2015, 11:18 pm

Interesting bigfellascott thanks for the info.
Maybe my Nikon was the one bad apple in the barrel.
I do believe you get what you pay for but only up to a point after that it's just paying for a name.
I've always thought Nikon was in the right price for quality bracket, it's good to hear others views.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Mar 2015, 5:03 am

anthillinside wrote:Interesting bigfellascott thanks for the info.
Maybe my Nikon was the one bad apple in the barrel.
I do believe you get what you pay for but only up to a point after that it's just paying for a name.
I've always thought Nikon was in the right price for quality bracket, it's good to hear others views.

Not sure what the go is with your scope mate, I can certainly say I really like the Nikon 3-9x50 I have, I've been out shooting bunnies at 8.30pm without a spotlight, shot one a while back at 300m in the head. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scrolllock » 19 Mar 2015, 3:03 pm

anthillinside wrote:I do believe you get what you pay for but only up to a point after that it's just paying for a name.

Finish this brand name.

Night.....

:lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics