Omark 44 vs newer rifles

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Omark 44 vs newer rifles

Post by gherx » 17 Mar 2015, 3:14 pm

Hi guys,

It seems the Omark is the 'go-to' cheap long distance rifle.

If spending a bit more though how do they compare to the newer equivalents. Things like:

Savage 12 Long Range
Tikka Super Varmint
Rem 700 Long Range

Not trying to compare to a specific rifle here, more trying to compare 'generations' of rifle if you know what I mean?
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Omark 44 vs newer rifles

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 3:35 pm

In the long run you spend more to fix up a second hand gun than to buy a budget new one.
The Omark has drawbacks in the way the bolt locks into the barrel . To fit other than an Omark barrel you need an adapter and that has it's issues and cost .
If they had just made the barrel fit like normal Mauser clones they would still be using them . Companies think they can lock up the customer to purchase their barrel only because no one else makes one to fit , it works for a while but in the end it kills the gun off .
If you buy a good one with a good barrel it can be worth it as they can shoot very well but if it needs a new barrel then it's not really worth it .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 17 Mar 2015, 4:16 pm

You pose a very interesting question mate.

An old OMark would still be quite competitive in Fullbore or F standard and even if you fitted a new barrel with an adapter is still only going to cost you about half what a savage F class or Savage BR is going to cost you

A mate bought an Omark a while back, even with its original barrel it's a genuine 1/2moa rifle. Cost him $300 with rings, no sights.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 5:33 pm

It can cost $800 to have match quality barrel fitted and then the adapter is extra . Then there is the cost of the gun and hope nothing else is crook .
I would rather put a few hundred extra into a new more modern gun.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by BRNOmod2 » 17 Mar 2015, 5:46 pm

Being that the Omark was designed solely for Fullbore shooting and im a long time fullbore shooter I would choose an Omark over all others you listed
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 6:02 pm

BRNOmod2 wrote:Being that the Omark was designed solely for Fullbore shooting and im a long time fullbore shooter I would choose an Omark over all others you listed

An old Omark over a Tikka ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 17 Mar 2015, 6:10 pm

Jack V wrote:
BRNOmod2 wrote:Being that the Omark was designed solely for Fullbore shooting and im a long time fullbore shooter I would choose an Omark over all others you listed

a $300 Omark with a new 28-30" match grade barrel and adapter would outshoot a new tikka with a factory barrel every day of the week and would cost the same or less

I'm a fan of my tikkas but let's be realistic. Now if you compare it to lets say a new savage 12 in f class guise then it would be a close call but the savage would cost double

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 17 Mar 2015, 6:31 pm

Jack V wrote:

Yes.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by BRNOmod2 » 17 Mar 2015, 8:28 pm

Believed we were discussing rifles suitable for long rang target work. For a long range target rifle yes I would choose an Omark over a Tikka - my Omark is one of the first year production Omark actions, was my fathers fullbore rifle, then my sisters fullbore rifle, then my fullbore rifle, obviously its had a few barrels in its time
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 9:12 pm

Chronos wrote:a $300 Omark with a new 28-30" match grade barrel and adapter would outshoot a new tikka with a factory barrel every day of the week and would cost the same or less

I'm a fan of my tikkas but let's be realistic. Now if you compare it to lets say a new savage 12 in f class guise then it would be a close call but the savage would cost double

And if something breaks on an Omark it's much harder to find parts than a Tikka and now it's about the same price before it was half the price .
Since when is full bore shooting exactly the same as long range shooting . It could be long range game shooting ?
How many cartridges are Omarks chambered in or could even be chambered in ? The adapter or barrel tenon gets thin when chambering bigger than 308W .
We hear about these fantastic shooting Omarks but I am yet to see one that is any more accurate than a Sako or Tikka on average .
If they were so fantastic you would not be able to buy one for 300 bucks.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 17 Mar 2015, 9:57 pm

go shoot an omark side by side with a tikka T3 in .308 and tell me the omark isn't more accurate, gives better velocity, isn't better for prone shooting and has a better trigger :crazy:

parts for omarks hard to get are they? wouldn't know. try ordering a factory trigger or an extractor for a tikka and see how you go, i bet there's 100 blokes in nsw alone that would have an omark extractor to sell you buit it could take you 4-6 months to get a part out of finland

yes, the op could be talking about long range hunting, but he doesn't specify hunting at all. and lets face it if you were choosing a rifle and cartridge for long range hunting it wouldn't be a .308 single shot rifle

i guess the op will need to specify what kind of long range shooting he is talking about, until then i stand by my comments that for "long range" shooting an omark is a fantastic starting point, capable of shooting very accurately and even factoring in a new barrel less than 1/2 the price of an equivalent new rifle.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 17 Mar 2015, 10:01 pm

http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=48700

here's one for $350 with sights,

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Morro » 17 Mar 2015, 10:59 pm

Jack V
I've noticed you have become somewhat a self proclaimed gunsmith expert on this forum. You have made a lot of very valid points and answered many questions but there comes a time when if you are not an expert on the subject be carefull what you say.
From when I couldnt even hold a fullbore rifle up, having to sit it on a box in the late seventies with my awesome dad to when I left fullbore prone target shooting at ANZAC rifle range in the late 1990's, I used and still own Omark model A's and B's. I competed in the annual Queens shoot and intra state comps ,doing quite well as an A grade shooter. The Omark as stated by Chronos is a very accurate firearm. I think you might find either last year or year before an Aussie took out the prestigious Bisley shoot in England with his dads s**ty old Omark. Omark didnt have the market on barrels, all mine have Black Mountain hammer forged barrels except 2 Model A's that have the chrome lined. Shillen, Madco, black Mountain made barrels for them with no adapter, I think tobler required it. Yes the adapter added strength to the simple design but didnt add centre bulls when it counted.
My rifles are basically 30 years old and have never required any spare parts after getting the bolt safety mods to the model A's to update them to the improved model B's.
I hope you get to shoot one of these one day, yes they are plain and basic but also having a fitter/machinist background, I really appreciate economy and strength of design to achieve the desired task. I came from a rather poor family and drooled over the Angel and Musgrave's the rich guys had with their new high tech stainless fluted barrels but the Omark always punched above its weight
Morro
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 18 Mar 2015, 1:24 am

And I've witnessed Morro shoot on more times than my ears will thank me - he knows what he's saying.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 18 Mar 2015, 6:34 am

Jack V wrote:And if something breaks on an Omark it's much harder to find parts than a Tikka and now it's about the same price before it was half the price .
Since when is full bore shooting exactly the same as long range shooting . It could be long range game shooting ?
How many cartridges are Omarks chambered in or could even be chambered in ? The adapter or barrel tenon gets thin when chambering bigger than 308W .
We hear about these fantastic shooting Omarks but I am yet to see one that is any more accurate than a Sako or Tikka on average .
If they were so fantastic you would not be able to buy one for 300 bucks.

Parts and barrels are readily available still, made in Australia. OIndeed you can buy a whole new rifle if you wish.

I have Tikkas and even had a Tikka Varmint, I still lay down on the mound and shoot my s**ty old fourth hand Omark, albeit with a scope nowadays.

Still shoots in the top two or three most club days and I have built up three in recent times that all shoot better than their owners.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by trekin » 18 Mar 2015, 6:46 am

Morro wrote:Jack V
I've noticed you have become somewhat a self proclaimed gunsmith expert on this forum. You have made a lot of very valid points and answered many questions but there comes a time when if you are not an expert on the subject be carefull what you say.
From when I couldnt even hold a fullbore rifle up, having to sit it on a box in the late seventies with my awesome dad to when I left fullbore prone target shooting at ANZAC rifle range in the late 1990's, I used and still own Omark model A's and B's. I competed in the annual Queens shoot and intra state comps ,doing quite well as an A grade shooter. The Omark as stated by Chronos is a very accurate firearm. I think you might find either last year or year before an Aussie took out the prestigious Bisley shoot in England with his dads s**ty old Omark. Omark didnt have the market on barrels, all mine have Black Mountain hammer forged barrels except 2 Model A's that have the chrome lined. Shillen, Madco, black Mountain made barrels for them with no adapter, I think tobler required it. Yes the adapter added strength to the simple design but didnt add centre bulls when it counted.
My rifles are basically 30 years old and have never required any spare parts after getting the bolt safety mods to the model A's to update them to the improved model B's.
I hope you get to shoot one of these one day, yes they are plain and basic but also having a fitter/machinist background, I really appreciate economy and strength of design to achieve the desired task. I came from a rather poor family and drooled over the Angel and Musgrave's the rich guys had with their new high tech stainless fluted barrels but the Omark always punched above its weight

Well said, that man.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 18 Mar 2015, 12:38 pm

Bang for buck, can't beat the Omark.

They're competitive and cheap as chips.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Grated » 18 Mar 2015, 12:40 pm

Chronos wrote:A mate bought an Omark a while back, even with its original barrel it's a genuine 1/2moa rifle. Cost him $300 with rings, no sights.

You beauty :thumbsup:
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by gherx » 18 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm

Chronos wrote:i guess the op will need to specify what kind of long range shooting he is talking about, until then i stand by my comments that for "long range" shooting an omark is a fantastic starting point, capable of shooting very accurately and even factoring in a new barrel less than 1/2 the price of an equivalent new rifle.

This is just the research stage, but I guess lets say we're talking about F-class and the distances in that discipline so we have some sort of base for comparison.

(comparison now that the question has been answered already anyway :lol: :D)
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 19 Mar 2015, 8:52 am

gherx wrote:
Chronos wrote:i guess the op will need to specify what kind of long range shooting he is talking about, until then i stand by my comments that for "long range" shooting an omark is a fantastic starting point, capable of shooting very accurately and even factoring in a new barrel less than 1/2 the price of an equivalent new rifle.

This is just the research stage, but I guess lets say we're talking about F-class and the distances in that discipline so we have some sort of base for comparison.

(comparison now that the question has been answered already anyway :lol: :D)

I'm looking at putting an Omark into a GRS stock. I'll have to purchase the blank version and have someone do the in letting and fitting. I'm looking to use this in F-Class.

I had the privilege of watching Morro use Omark's and hit centre bulls at 1000m with peep sights many many times.

1st time I hit a centre bull, I was doing cartwheels up and down the old club house at Malabar.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 19 Mar 2015, 9:03 am

bluerob wrote:I'm looking at putting an Omark into a GRS stock. I'll have to purchase the blank version and have someone do the in letting and fitting. I'm looking to use this in F-Class.

I had the privilege of watching Morro use Omark's and hit centre bulls at 1000m with peep sights many many times.

1st time I hit a centre bull, I was doing cartwheels up and down the old club house at Malabar.

Hey mate. I can highly recommend Matt Peroz in castle hill (OLRP)

He has completed a few jobs for me now and his work is first class and he always give an accurate completion date. He is quickly becoming the goto gunsmith in Sydney for F class and BR rifle gunsmithing

Pm me for his contact details if you want

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 19 Mar 2015, 11:27 am

I did not say they were not accurate I said that I don't think they are the best thing for a new project and don't threaten me sport .
NO ONE SAID THEY WERE NOT ACCUARTE YOU ARE IMAGINING THINGS.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Morro » 19 Mar 2015, 3:54 pm

Jack V wrote:
I did not say they were not accurate I said that I don't think they are the best thing for a new project and don't threaten me sport .
NO ONE SAID THEY WERE NOT ACCUARTE YOU ARE IMAGINING THINGS.

I was wondering which way u would take my post, now I know sadly.
I respect your opinion as I noted in my previous post, did u feel threatened by by term "self proclaimed gunsmith?"
If so why? U have given many people a great insight on this forum by inferring a considerable knowledge in gunsmithing and firearms balistic knowledge.
I will always, as I have done most of my life, thanks to my upbring & critical thinking job I have enjoyed after leaving my trade, accept constructive criticism as it makes u a better operator and see tangents u might never have contemplated.
I think u have seen most of us on here have said the Omark is a great starting point that using my quote, "bats above its weight" So this is were we get the right (I think I qualified myself to speak) to opionate that u have to be a damn good shooter to outshoot an Omark that would warrant even the initial outlay of a Tikka/Sako, & boy do I love those rifles.
Please dont feel threatned by me, just enjoy the debate sport : )
Morro
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by North East » 19 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

This thread is boring. You blokes should just shut up.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 19 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Jack V wrote:You and your mate started this chronos . You are the antagonist in this , trying to shut other peoples opinions out because they don't fit your ideas. Look back at my first post I never said anything bad about your Precious Omark .

LOL, i've never even owned an omark and you should know by now I don't have any mates here.

my point is you need to tone it down and calling people retards belongs back in the 1950's and i reckon you should appologise to the new member you claim threatened you

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 19 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

Chronos wrote:Hey mate. I can highly recommend Matt Peroz in castle hill (OLRP)

He has completed a few jobs for me now and his work is first class and he always give an accurate completion date. He is quickly becoming the goto gunsmith in Sydney for F class and BR rifle gunsmithing

Pm me for his contact details if you want

Chronos

Many thanks for the heads up. I'll send the PM.

Cheers.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Mar 2015, 7:08 pm

Kindergarden is in today.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Mar 2015, 7:10 pm

Past 3.30pm, kinder is out and mummy is here to meet the kiddies. So time to go home to daddy.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NuZo » 19 Mar 2015, 9:48 pm

I bought an omark.

Best $250 I've spent on a rifle ever! Yeah, she's been bubba'd but she shoots great! Here's my first 3 shots out of her after being bore sighted at 100m. Shooting 150gr Speer SPBT and 45gr 2206H, CCI LRP, Random case.

When i got down to the line and saw the 3 shots, i actually jumped in happiness. For the rest of the day i was just so bloody happy.

I bought the rifle as a learning aid. i wanted to learn the in's and out's of everything, something i wouldn't be afraid to cut up or change. To perfect reloading techniques and what really matters vs what is done just for show etc. and I'm still learning to this day.

If you want a budget target rifle, You can't go wrong with an omark. Just do yourself a favour, don't buy s**t glass to put on it. I bought a cheap Tasco 10-40x50. while it gets the job done, i really need to invest in something better. the rifle is more than capable.

Picture below.

Cheers,

Nuzo
Attachments
omarkfirstshots.jpg
omarkfirstshots.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 14386 times
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Mar 2015, 10:04 pm

I probably bumped into a few of you guys at Malabar in the 90's as I used to shoot there most weekends. I never competed though as I was only ever a casual shooter there, but I did get to know Roger the deaf as a post R.O. John Kell from Colonial Gunshop was a good friend and his passing was a huge loss to the black powder scene.
Apart from the name calling and $hit slinging I've learnt a few things from this thread, I know a little more about Omark rifles (Thankyou) and the name of a good gunsmith not too far away (Thank you also). I joined this forum with the goal of sharing some of the knowledge I've gained with particular focus on the bigger calibres as there's next to no local information available. I generally read my posts before hitting the Submit button with the aim of ensuring I'm providing something useful, informative, adding value or attempting humor.
Lets put all this B.S in the past and get back to what this forum should be, A place to share knowledge, Experience and a love for our sport.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges