Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Hunt Reports

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Aug 2015, 9:21 am

Why do we not see many posted here, do people her not hunt? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by Panthum » 19 Aug 2015, 10:38 am

I live in the city and I am currently studying at uni so I don't have too much spare time but I try get out as much as possible. Usually I go to a mates property in Braidwood but most of the time I am only shooting bunnies and foxes unless see pigs or goats or know they are on the property. An interesting question, what do you guys consider "hunting": game animals deer etc or does it include other pest and vermin species like pigs and goats. Personally whenever I am going after goats I have to stalk them so I consider it hunting.
Savage Mark II BTVS .22 LR
Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter .223
Panthum
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Aug 2015, 12:06 pm

I consider that if you have to step off the back verandah,, to shoot something regardless of if it is a game species, or feral,,,, that it is HUNTING.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 19 Aug 2015, 12:43 pm

i have been out twice on the goats in the last few months but i didnt take any photos so it may not of happened :unknown: and only shot three and five goats so not much to write about, bunnys but no foxes :thumbsdown: but i will make an effort to type up a report about the last lot of goats,,,,,,,,,,,i had to work for them :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 19 Aug 2015, 1:27 pm

Hey Scott....every week mate without fail, could be taking the .22mag out this Saturday for some more bunny sniping (weather permitting) if not the .223 will come out and play.
I checked one of my patches last Saturday and its teeming with little ones...its gonna be a good spring.
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm

Elmer wrote:Hey Scott....every week mate without fail, could be taking the .22mag out this Saturday for some more bunny sniping (weather permitting) if not the .223 will come out and play.
I checked one of my patches last Saturday and its teeming with little ones...its gonna be a good spring.
Sean.

Your about the only one who seems to post about your adventures Sean. :D I enjoy the vids too, always fun to be along for the ride so to speak.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Aug 2015, 9:49 pm

I got word on Tues from my LGS that the Vid cable I have had on order for nearly 2 months has finally arrived.
So with a bit of luck (havnt used the camera before) and a break in other dramas,,, I may have some footage to show.
:roll: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 19 Aug 2015, 11:22 pm

I just got back from 5 days up bush, not sure if driving round at night shooting giant bunnies could be called hunting though. I did spend a day on my block marking out for the dozer, saw a few Emus and heard a few giant bunnies but didn't shooting anything. All I've got to show for my efforts are 2kgs less fat on the scales and a big bag of empty brass to reload which is something at least.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 20 Aug 2015, 12:09 am

I havent been out for a few weeks, and dont tend to talk much when I do, but weather permitting inwant to go foxing in about 4 weeks (pretty busy until then, im afraid)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2015, 11:39 am

Doesn't matter how insignificant you think it is, throw up a bit of a report with some pics etc, people enjoy reading them and it might encourage some of them to get out and have a go too, it also makes the forum a bit more enjoyable to visit (always nice to read hunt reports regardless of how big or small they are) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 20 Aug 2015, 4:35 pm

I don't really call what I do hunting. It's pest control and not very exciting. Now I have a deer legal rifle I'll get out after fallow but the season here is short and bag limit is 3 per year (season).
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Aug 2015, 7:13 pm

I still head out twice a week for rabbits and foxes, I'm always getting plenty of rabbits but not many foxes for the last 2 months or so.

I don't bother posting about it.

I tried to start a thread where people could post numbers / species that they had shot so we could keep track of how many ferals we sort out but it never took off ... I'd be surprised if I could even find it again.
If i find it I'll post some photos up.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Aug 2015, 10:08 am

Heres last nights effort,

2015-08-22 01.24.17.jpg
2015-08-22 01.24.17.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 12917 times

I had to lure the ginger ninja out of an area that I'm not permitted to hunt on. Old Fanta pants reluctantly came to the whistle from the working mine site to the neighboring property where he copped a face full of buck shot.
He was in realy good condition so I thought I'd open him up to see what he had been eating and to my surprise, some irresponsible twat from the mine has been feeding this feral feline cat food.

2015-08-22 01.25.20.jpg
2015-08-22 01.25.20.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 12917 times

Im betting that it's some peanut from the mine office feeding the feral cats based on the area it approached from.
I have noticed an explosion in cat numbers recently and this behavior surely doesn't help.

Heres some more pictures

2015-08-22 01.26.36.jpg
2015-08-22 01.26.36.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 12917 times

2015-08-22 01.25.53.jpg
2015-08-22 01.25.53.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 12917 times

I didn't do so well on the rabbits last night, perhaps my hard work is paying off. Tonight I'm heading to a property with a big rabbit problem, I should be able to clean up there.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2015, 4:07 pm

Thanks for posting mate, well done on removing another feral cat from our bushland, I'm sure the lizards and birds etc will be a lot better off for doing so.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Heckler303 » 22 Aug 2015, 5:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Thanks for posting mate, well done on removing another feral cat from our bushland, I'm sure the lizards and birds etc will be a lot better off for doing so.

That feel when that cat closely resembles your cat.

*checks again to make sure he's still laying on the bed and not of laying in the dirt*

Phew.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2015, 7:49 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Thanks for posting mate, well done on removing another feral cat from our bushland, I'm sure the lizards and birds etc will be a lot better off for doing so.

*checks again to make sure he's still laying on the bed and not of laying in the dirt*

Phew.

I don't have a cat and never will have a cat - most useless bloody pet on the planet as far as I'm concerned - make great paddock pizza though :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Heckler303 » 22 Aug 2015, 10:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

Phew.

I don't have a cat and never will have a cat - most useless bloody pet on the planet as far as I'm concerned - make great paddock pizza though :lol:

I bet you would too.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2015, 11:04 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

Phew.

I bet you would too.

Would too what? :?

Only good cats one with a bullet passing through it and boy do I like finding them in the middle of a paddock, they don't live long when I do!!! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 23 Aug 2015, 9:15 am

i think you protest too much :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Aug 2015, 10:33 am

New target species here are 70 something Grey bearded 'snakes in the grass' with disabled stickers on windscreens... :lol:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Title_II » 23 Aug 2015, 11:32 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

Phew.

Try a goldfish :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2015, 1:30 pm

Title_II wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

Phew.

Try a goldfish :)

Goldfish are great, the Barra love eating them! :lol: :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm

Bagged me two specimens today. Knocked on their door and they invited me in for coffee and biscuits. PI work done and found sign all along the trail :D was a fun hunt.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Aug 2015, 10:03 pm

Found em hey? Got your wallet back yet?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2015, 10:06 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Bagged me two specimens today. Knocked on their door and they invited me in for coffee and biscuits. PI work done and found sign all along the trail :D was a fun hunt.

Ol Duck hunting mate :lol: that was one hell of a turn of events for sure, glad it all worked out well in the end. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2015, 10:06 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Bagged me two specimens today. Knocked on their door and they invited me in for coffee and biscuits. PI work done and found sign all along the trail :D was a fun hunt.

Ol Duck hunting mate :lol: that was one hell of a turn of events for sure, glad it all worked out well in the end. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2015, 6:44 pm

Well done mate tell us a bit about you gear
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 24 Aug 2015, 7:25 pm

bentaz wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:New target species here are 70 something Grey bearded 'snakes in the grass' with disabled stickers on windscreens... :lol:

Do I need to get a game licence or can I just pop on down and cull a few? :lol:

Speaking as a 70 year old myself, and a shooter, you just may want to think twice about the "cull a few" remark. I still know how to return fire, and that was a pretty stupid thing to put on a public forum.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 24 Aug 2015, 7:29 pm

bentaz wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:New target species here are 70 something Grey bearded 'snakes in the grass' with disabled stickers on windscreens... :lol:

Do I need to get a game licence or can I just pop on down and cull a few? :lol:

Speaking as a 70 year old myself, and a shooter, you just may want to think twice about the "cull a few" remark. I still know how to return fire, and that was a pretty stupid thing to put on a public forum. Scott, here's what 70 years can still get up mate.
JD
Attachments
P1010231.JPG
P1010231.JPG (213.2 KiB) Viewed 8898 times
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 24 Aug 2015, 9:08 pm

The Buff was shot with my 308 using 165gn Barnes MRX. The bullet was recovered from under the skin on the far side and weighed 144.1gn. Fair enough on the comment mate, but I'm not sure "culling a few" is appropriate given the Greens attitude. My point being that they will take anything they can out of context. By the way, the Buff was shot about an hour from where I live in Northern NSW. A local farmer thought he would try farming them and one way or another they went feral. Every so often a few of us go out and "cull a few."
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control