Show us your Rimfire Groups!

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Show us your Rimfire Groups!

Post by Homer » 06 Oct 2015, 3:33 pm

G'Day Fella's,

How about we have a dedicated (if there 's not one already?), thread showing the groups your Rimfire Rifles shot at 50 meters and further ( 75 and or 100 meters, for .22 WMR and .17 HMR)!
Here are a few from my CZ 452-2E American and Lapua, Standard Club ammo, 12x Leupold and a floated barrel.
CZ 452-2E .22LR.JPG
CZ 452-2E .22LR.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 12282 times

And the same rifle but now with a Timney adjustable trigger (set at 1 1/2 pound) and with, SK Magazine ammo.
DSCN1176.JPG
DSCN1176.JPG (539.06 KiB) Viewed 12282 times

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Show us your Rimfire Groups!

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Oct 2015, 4:34 pm

50 metres with my Lithgow crossover and eley club rounds. 10 round group
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (638.45 KiB) Viewed 12272 times
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Oct 2015, 4:38 pm

Not to be off topic, but have you been fiddling around with any suppressors recently? Just saying after seeing image 1.

Not going to tell the coppers, just saying maaaybe it isn't wise to show you've been using one. Because as dumb as the laws can be, suppressors can't even be used by anybody. Sucks I know.

Nice groupings though.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 06 Oct 2015, 4:47 pm

Sound Modifiers (Silencer / Suppressor or whatever) are NOT Illegal....!!!!

It's just that the restrictions are a bit much for most people. No different to talking about Semi-Auto Rifles.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Oct 2015, 4:51 pm

Apollo wrote:Sound Modifiers (Silencer / Suppressor or whatever) are NOT Illegal....!!!!

It's just that the restrictions are a bit much for most people. No different to talking about Semi-Auto Rifles.

WEAPONS PROHIBITION ACT 1998 - SCHEDULE 1
SCHEDULE 1 – Prohibited weapons
4 Miscellaneous articles

(3) Silencers or any other device designed for attachment to a firearm for the purpose of muffling, reducing or stopping the noise created by firing the firearm.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Oct 2015, 4:53 pm

Or homer is from NZ.....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Fritz » 06 Oct 2015, 5:01 pm

What a coincidence.
I only just started shooting at paper today. Some of them are pretty bad, I'll blame the dog for that (Using the bonnet as a rest, dog in the car puffing like mad after chasing wallabies ;)

Lithgow crossover, mostly CCI Sub-sonics. 2 groups with SK standard. 5 shots per group (1/2" rings)
I'm quite impressed with the SK's (bottom left squares).
need a lot more practice, but it's a good start I think.
WP_20151006_001.jpg
WP_20151006_001.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 12263 times
Fritz
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 06 Oct 2015, 5:23 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
Apollo wrote:Sound Modifiers (Silencer / Suppressor or whatever) are NOT Illegal....!!!!

4 Miscellaneous articles

(3) Silencers or any other device designed for attachment to a firearm for the purpose of muffling, reducing or stopping the noise created by firing the firearm.

I don't know where you dug that up from but I'm not going to spend the time quoting other sections. I am allowed to own a "Sound Modifier" if I apply for the permit. Perhaps it's not all states but it's not the point.

Perhaps start a new thread and find out just how many people own them. You might get a huge shock... ;) ;)
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 06 Oct 2015, 6:01 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Sorry, I just realised what I had written on the target in the first image!
No need to worry though and all's good, as I have a Police Permit for them!!!
While were on this subject though, please note the lack of POI change, between silencer On or Off!

Fella's, nice to see your Lithgow Crossovers, shooting so well!
Good shooting and well done to all!!!

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chronos » 06 Oct 2015, 6:12 pm

Heckler303 wrote:

4 Miscellaneous articles

yes, prohibited not illegal just like semi auto shotguns, rifles, concealable hand guns,, butterfly knives, 15 round mags pistol mags, crossbows and just about anything else that's prohibited you can apply for an permit (exemption) you just need to show why you should be granted an exemption :thumbsup:

in the case of suppressors in nsw at least you just apply and fill in the paperwork and deal with the inconvenience of the other restrictions applies to what ever you fit them to

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 06 Oct 2015, 6:16 pm

Homer, don't worry about it. Youngster junior members that need a little more knowledge.

The last time I used a Sound Moderator many years ago it did not change the POI either.

The Lapua Ammo seems to perform well. My 1965 Brno works well with a number of different one's but exceptionally well with Center-X which I use for shooting vermin to benchrest target at 200 yards. If you get a chance try some. Your little group there might shrink even more. I do sort all my rimfire ammo by rim thickness and sometimes weight as well.

It is nice to achieve near one hole 5 shot groups at close range...ie 50m
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Oct 2015, 6:17 pm

Alright, its all good. Apologies for before.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 06 Oct 2015, 6:20 pm

Chronos wrote:in the case of suppressors in nsw at least you just apply and fill in the paperwork and deal with the inconvenience of the other restrictions applies to what ever you fit them to
Chronos

Yep, it makes the Firearm you fit it to a "Restricted Item" as well, so you have a permit for each. Pain in the rear..... :thumbsdown:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 06 Oct 2015, 6:45 pm

Anyway, back on track..... :)

Rimfires are fun and a great way to learn things like reading wind conditions at longer ranges.

Chronos, myself and a mate had some great fun one day shooting Clay's at near 200 yards. Not long ago the same mate, myself and his son had a couple of days shooting targets at 200 yards in preparation for a 200 Yard Registered Competition. We shot in from near perfect conditions to rather windy with heaps of mirage. It was really fun and polished the skills. I was testing a dedicated custom target rifle on loan called a "20cal Extruder" which went really well at close range but didn't have a bar on my old Brno at 200 yards.

Our biggest drama was having a Scope with enough elevation to work at 200 yards with standard velocity ammo.

BTW...the 200 yard competition was called "200 Yard Rimfire Fly"... I'll have to see if I have some targets that haven't been shot to pieces out in the shed.

My gear is a 1965 Brno Model 2 (completely factory), Picatinny Rail 0 MOA and a Leupold VX3 LR 8.5-25x50mm with Single Shot Adapter.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Fritz » 06 Oct 2015, 7:16 pm

This is this mornings attempt at 200 metres (according to the GPS)
Crossover again, CCI Sub-sonics again. 2" rings.
I ran out of windage on the scope and the point of aim at was at least a foot and a half above centre target.
Strangely enough, a week earlier, roughly the same conditions but at a burnt out car I grouped almost 2 inches and no matter how hard I tried today I just couldn't replicate that :thumbsdown:
WP_20151006_002.jpg
WP_20151006_002.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 12236 times
Fritz
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Hilux2003 » 07 Oct 2015, 8:23 pm

Probably need another burntout car. Saw one today, on the way to the shooting complex, let me know when you are up in NSW & we can probably organise one from western Sydney.
;-)=
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 08 Oct 2015, 8:12 am

Both at 50 metres here.

Anschütz 1416D, RWS Club ammo.

Shot not long after I bought the rifle so stoked with the performace :D

Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 08 Oct 2015, 8:31 pm

Does a .22cal air rifle at 50 yds count? :sarcasm:
IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG (137.23 KiB) Viewed 11825 times
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gunner41battery » 10 Mar 2016, 6:44 pm

Hi lads

I know im a tad late to this thread but only picked up my Mossberg 802 plinkster back in January. Shot this grouping at 100m on a rather windy day.
The rifle is zeroed to 50m and i was using CCI Standard ammo.
Attachments
20160227_103110.jpg
Right shot was sighting round.
20160227_103110.jpg (863.37 KiB) Viewed 9628 times
.22 Mossberg 802 Plinkster
Gunner41battery
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Khan » 11 Mar 2016, 11:12 am

Not half bad for a windy 100 and cheap ammo.

Not at all :thumbsup:
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gunner41battery » 11 Mar 2016, 3:06 pm

Khan wrote:Not half bad for a windy 100 and cheap ammo.

Not at all :thumbsup:

In all honesty i just think i got lucky and it was bench rest shooting but I'm currently using an airsoft knockoff foregrip bipod (no i don't have an airsoft gun)
Attachments
image-d56a32607177eee77eea5716b4069bfcfcc7862d368b922db839404d2a6e1e01-V.jpg
image-d56a32607177eee77eea5716b4069bfcfcc7862d368b922db839404d2a6e1e01-V.jpg (227.53 KiB) Viewed 9613 times
.22 Mossberg 802 Plinkster
Gunner41battery
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Mar 2016, 3:55 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Not to be off topic, but have you been fiddling around with any suppressors recently? Just saying after seeing image 1.

Not going to tell the coppers, just saying maaaybe it isn't wise to show you've been using one. Because as dumb as the laws can be, suppressors can't even be used by anybody. Sucks I know.

Nice groupings though.

Your Wrong! The can be used and owned by certain people who comply with the requirements. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Heckler303 » 12 Mar 2016, 4:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:Not to be off topic, but have you been fiddling around with any suppressors recently? Just saying after seeing image 1.

Nice groupings though.

Your Wrong! The can be used and owned by certain people who comply with the requirements. :thumbsup:

Well I knew that a few months ago after I was informed. It would be awesome if like en zud suppressors were sign as a good thing and not a dangerous new technology thingamajig silencing gadget.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 12 Mar 2016, 5:12 pm

"Heckler303" .. I'll pull you up again... main point is I don't understand your post...??? Your comment makes no sence at all.

Why do you comment on something you have no experience with...a Suppressor... !!! I do, I have owned them many years ago. Like Semi Auto Rifles then converted to full Auto...by Police Officers.....!!!!

Many years ago and all I thought was you "silly young kids"....Young Police..

The most dealiest firearm is that one that is in control of someone that know's how to use it....at any distance.

You are long gone if someone is shooting you before you hear the shot.

Back on topic.

Decent rimfire groups at 50m should be

"One Hole" .. anything less than that then you need to do alot of work with Ammo Selection and/or you choice of firearm.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Diesel » 15 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Nice groupings though.

Well I knew that a few months ago after I was informed. It would be awesome if like en zud suppressors were sign as a good thing and not a dangerous new technology thingamajig silencing gadget.

Agree totally, most ridiculous thing they ever did was to ban them, a VERY useful tool when shooting small game.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Tiiger » 16 Mar 2016, 9:54 am

Need to explain to the pollies it will be a nice big cash injection if they legalised them because we'll all buy one.

Money will convince them ;)
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Apr 2016, 6:07 pm

Apollo wrote:"Heckler303" .. I'll pull you up again... main point is I don't understand your post...??? Your comment makes no sence at all.

Why do you comment on something you have no experience with...a Suppressor... !!! I do, I have owned them many years ago. Like Semi Auto Rifles then converted to full Auto...by Police Officers.....!!!!

Brilliant, pull me up for a post I already got the answer to months ago then have a rage-quit every sentence with a plethora of exclamation question marks.

Your point exactly was what?
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 07 Apr 2016, 12:59 am

first photo uploaded hope it works .22 @50m 3shot
Attachments
annie.jpg
.22 @50m
annie.jpg (151.16 KiB) Viewed 9515 times
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 07 Apr 2016, 7:45 am

Heckler303 wrote:
Apollo wrote:"Heckler303" .. I'll pull you up again... main point is I don't understand your post...??? Your comment makes no sence at all.

Brilliant, pull me up for a post I already got the answer to months ago then have a rage-quit every sentence with a plethora of exclamation question marks.

Your point exactly was what?

Maybe??? he was having a bad!!! Day???
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Harper » 26 Apr 2016, 2:59 pm

pomemax wrote:first photo uploaded hope it works .22 @50m 3shot

Looking good :thumbsup:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington