Largest legal calibre here in Aus?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Largest legal calibre here in Aus?

Post by Noisydad » 08 Oct 2015, 8:33 pm

Plenty of people use .58 cal black powder cartridge rifles (Enfield Sniders, Martini Henry's) and even bigger muzzle loaders in competition events.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 08 Oct 2015, 11:54 pm

Magnum in Sydney has a couple of 50s for sale but bit pricey for me up to 16000 but you can get them .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by newsteadvic » 10 Oct 2015, 8:48 pm

There is a fellow in NSW who makes .75 cannon - you can own one on a B class licence.
http://www.hawkscannons.com.au/gallery.htm
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 11 Oct 2015, 8:57 am

bentaz wrote:I need a bigger safe.

Don't we all? :lol:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigtone » 11 Oct 2015, 8:32 pm

Sloth wrote:
rifles_steyr_picture6.jpg

We can get this in Queensland.

Steyr HS 460 35.5"
Single Shot
New $8459

Do you have one?
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigtone » 11 Oct 2015, 8:42 pm

Chronos wrote:
Blackened wrote:
Chronos wrote: Performance has a price, its called recoil and I shoot better without it.

Chronos

I put a few rounds through my brothers AR50 A1 chambered in 416 barret this week. It has about the same recoil as a 17HMR! I would be a bit scared to fire it without the muzzle brake though because the instruction manual says that doing so could cause serious injury or death. You need to be built like Arny to shoot it in any position other than prone and to carry it further than a few metres too. So recoil is not necessarily a problem with larger calibres but the noise makes you flinch a bit until you get used to it.
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by gazza » 11 Oct 2015, 8:50 pm

Whatever you want, get it now. It isn't going to get any easier in the short term.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 11 Oct 2015, 10:29 pm

I put a few rounds through my brothers AR50 A1 chambered in 416 barret this week. It has about the same recoil as a 17HMR! I would be a bit scared to fire it without the muzzle brake though because the instruction manual says that doing so could cause serious injury or death. You need to be built like Arny to shoot it in any position other than prone and to carry it further than a few metres too. So recoil is not necessarily a problem with larger calibres but the noise makes you flinch a bit until you get used to it.

I'll second the comment on .416 recoil, I can shoot it all day without worry where as smaller calibres left bruises after only a few shots.

Tac 50 kicks but is manageable, M99 .416 barely moves me, the DTA HTI 50 kicks like an angry mule and I think in the 2nd or 3rd shot it knocks a filling out of my tooth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67IgpMyulag
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 12 Oct 2015, 6:56 am

bentaz wrote:So does the DTA still get a run? I have to think that the other 50 would be a lot more fun to shoot and the DTA would be fun to watch others shoot, lol.

The DTA is essentially purpose setup for .375 Cheytac long range hunting these days and I don't shoot 50 BMG from it much. I have the .416 Barrett conversion for it as well but have never used it due to the M99 being so much softer on the shoulder and I don't have any hunting projectiles for .416. Of the big stuff the .416 is brilliant, 1/3 MOA accuracy and effective range out past 1500m makes it a favourite of mine. Reloading is fairly inexpensive at less then $3.50 a shot compared to almost $6.50 for the 1/2". The M95 Barrett is my preferred 50 followed by the Big Mac and if I want to test my manliness then I'll put some rounds through the DTA.
I've got some video of a 100m 3 shot group from the M99 .416 which I'll post in the coming days, end result was a 1/3" group.

I did price up a Browning 12ga with rifled barrel and almost bought it till I worked out the cost per shot...was more expensive then shooting factory Hornady 50BMG so that idea got shelved. Next on the project list is a Lilija match barrel for the Tac50 and saving up for the Anzio 20/50 :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Oct 2015, 7:13 am

Come on brett... you soft or something?? 375....416.....small bore stuff; when are you getting a vulcan?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 12 Oct 2015, 9:20 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Come on brett... you soft or something?? 375....416.....small bore stuff; when are you getting a vulcan?

Saving up for the Anzio 20/50 :)

It's a 20mm Vulcan necked down to 50 Cal so it'll fire the 750Gr AMAX's I use in my existing rifles. I've saved up most of the purchase price but need a little more to cover the expense of reloading dies, case forming dies, cases, import fees and taxes. Another 3-6 months with any luck should be here, then I'll need a custom made safe to fit it in....

The 50BMG looks a little small compared to the other 2.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigtone » 12 Oct 2015, 9:58 am

20mm vulcan.......DAMN!
I am interested to hear if the DTA HTI kicks so bad with the 416 barrel fitted. The AR 50 version of 416 is not really what i would consider portable. Have you tried to fit a better brake to the HTI?
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Oct 2015, 10:07 am

nah, wont get through 'borderfarce'.... its got an AR15 grip. :lol: :lol: ....

I can just imagine the phone conversation when they give you the news,

"Sorry sir, the 'weapon' contains a part off a military rifle that could potentially be converted grip up, to fire the 5.56NATO round"

"So I cant have my 1 million Joule producing rifle because somehow I might convert it to a 223Remington??"

"No sir, 5.56NATO, but um,,, Yes."

"Bwaaahahahahaha you ******"

But seriously, why would you want a 50 that just burns barrels? That vulcan case would probably pack around 500 if not more grains behind the little half in proj.... go 20mm! just make sure you write on the pta Victorian Sambar!
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 12 Oct 2015, 11:18 am

50 Cal is legal in NSW, I can import the Anzio no problems and I can get the reloading components over the counter without any grief. Getting a 20mm Vulcan through customs would involve way too much paperwork and a G.G permit plus some reloading components are non existent here. I had to have the Barrett .416 projectiles custom made and did the initial testing and load development myself. I don't want to do this again for 20mm, I'm of the belief the 20/50 will have better ballistics and shoot flatter then the regular 50BMG cartridge, similar to how the .416 Barrett behaves.

Swapping the brake on the HTI 50 barrel was considered and is on the back burner of projects as I really enjoy hearing bad language from others when shooting it for the first time.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 12 Oct 2015, 1:05 pm

brett1868 wrote:Another 3-6 months with any luck should be here, then I'll need a custom made safe to fit it in....

You must be about better off soon to have a strongroom built, no?
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Oct 2015, 1:10 pm

ok...20mm might have to be a local build...

but the Vulcan is a kickass round.... I'm sure you'll really get the 750's singing necked down in that case.... considering the 20 will do 3610+fps / 820gr load!! / 1715gr proj..... = 49k ftlb (compare to 50BMG 13k, 308win 2.6k)

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITA ... l_1994.pdf

(Theres also 25mm and 30mm in the manual!!!)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Xerox » 14 Oct 2015, 9:56 am

brett1868 wrote:Swapping the brake on the HTI 50 barrel was considered and is on the back burner of projects as I really enjoy hearing bad language from others when shooting it for the first time.

And the occasional black eye is probably funny :lol:
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by inventurkey » 15 Oct 2015, 2:02 pm

Always funny :mrgreen:
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Oct 2015, 4:49 pm

...........so.... I dont think there is technically a calibre limit; but if you were going for the 20x102 aka 20mm Vulcan, you have a hard time convincing the registry on the pta that you had a 'genuine need' for it.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 Oct 2015, 7:50 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:...........so.... I dont think there is technically a calibre limit; but if you were going for the 20x102 aka 20mm Vulcan, you have a hard time convincing the registry on the pta that you had a 'genuine need' for it.

I'm thinking long range Camel culling would suffice as a genuine reason. I recall reading something about 50BMG being the biggest chambering / highest energy round permitted without G.G permit in NSW but buggered if I can be bothered looking for it.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Oct 2015, 9:25 pm

If you asked the GG - he would probably ask for a shoot!
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 Oct 2015, 10:12 pm

Current G.G is Sir Peter Cosgrove so he'd be able to teach me how to strip and clean a Vulcan :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Oct 2015, 8:51 pm

And strip clean reassemble an SLR with a blind fold..... id like to think :D

While his predecessor probably couldnt strip a mattress :clap:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Pilch » 22 Oct 2015, 9:15 am

brett1868 wrote:I recall reading something about 50BMG being the biggest chambering / highest energy round permitted without G.G permit in NSW but buggered if I can be bothered looking for it.

That'd be a first if they actually worked out the energy on something instead of just arbitrarily picking a calibre like they've done elsewhere.
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 26 Oct 2015, 11:38 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 13 Feb 2017, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 27 Oct 2015, 12:08 am

About the same diameter as a 250ml Twist Top beer bottle, I found that out when I ran out of oranges.... :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 27 Oct 2015, 6:34 am

happyhunter wrote:What caibre is an orange cannon?

I think the standard is 90mm, although they are sometimes offered in 75mm. :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Oct 2015, 6:44 am

The big game version for grapefruit... :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by VICHunter » 28 Oct 2015, 12:52 pm

brett1868 wrote:About the same diameter as a 250ml Twist Top beer bottle, I found that out when I ran out of oranges.... :)

:allegedly: ;)
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Most powerful rifle round legal in Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Nov 2015, 12:43 am

Harper wrote:
Lorgar wrote:
John445 wrote:But from what I've read a lot of people have been rejected saying that target shooting or hunting isn't sufficient reason for that calibre specifically. 338 mag is about the limit that everyone can readily get, with little/no questions asked.

Yet if you apply for a 338 Lapua Mag you'll likely get shut down :roll:

I havnt read all comments on all these pages, so in relation to "Harpers" comment I cant help but wonder about the venerable yet humble old .375 H+H Mag.

Its not all that much different in performance,,,,, and an awful lot of people in Aus have got them with little problems.

338 Lapua Mag > 2,655 fps and 4696 ft/lbs
.375 H+H Mag > 2,645 fps and 4661 ft/lbs
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics