12ga slug pressures/ rifled barrel.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 12ga slug pressures/ rifled barrel.

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Mar 2016, 2:46 am

G'day bentaz,
Conventional wisdom is that slug cartridges will shoot safely in any barrel type, smooth, rifled or Paradox. Certainly cartridge makers do not specify barrel type on their packets, nor reloading data publishers such as Hodgden etc. The only warning we tend to see is in regard to heavily choked barrels, not rifled barrels. Use any published slug data, ensuring you use the same components, and you will be fine. The best book on slugs, imho, comes from Ballistic Products. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Mar 2016, 8:43 am

12g shotguns are proofed at 1320Bar (same as 4, 8 and 10g) as opposed the normal rifle cartridges at generally 3000 to 5500, so theyre not designed for fully rifling engage/swaged bullets(slugs) traveling down the bore with similar dynamics ...and as far as I know there is no official specification (read regulation/control) concerning rifling, groove, land dimensions...

So sizing your solids and working up loads, unless you have on have related to your barrel spec, would be highly 'experimental' at your end.... but sound like a fun project!

Is you barrel thick walled, conventional rifle type?

The greener...... I was close to buying an as new GP 12g at a show, $400..... shoulda put the cash down.... good luck finding one in that condition....for that money now!
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Mar 2016, 10:06 am

both those actions are designed by full strength rifle cartridges, though the GP may have lower proof and different heat treatment than the 303 and 450 martinis, and the Mauser is not a conventional/later type front locker..... I'd be happy using them for the project.... if planning to push the envelope though, I'd be getting a competent smith to test the action for hardness, wear, faults, cracks etc :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 04 Mar 2016, 2:18 pm

This is kind of silly. Just load them up and shoot them. Never gave it a second thought. Probably 30 years.

Although I never shot them with a bird or trap gun with a choke. Not sure how that works.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Hercl » 11 Mar 2016, 10:40 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:12g shotguns are proofed at 1320Bar (same as 4, 8 and 10g) as opposed the normal rifle cartridges at generally 3000 to 5500

I'd pay to see one fail proofing at 5,500 bar.

That would be quite the air show.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sarki » 13 Apr 2016, 3:22 pm

Hercl wrote:I'd pay to see one fail proofing at 5,500 bar.

gas-explosion.jpg
gas-explosion.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harts » 21 Apr 2016, 9:03 am

Looks about right :lol:
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia