The Hazards of non shooting sports.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The Hazards of non shooting sports.

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Aug 2016, 7:35 pm

Well Lads I think I'll be sitting around doing some reloading glass bedding etc. over the next few weeks since I royally busted my leg in 3 spots.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Bendy leg.
image.jpeg (103.73 KiB) Viewed 6400 times
image.jpeg
Fractured leg
image.jpeg (450.27 KiB) Viewed 6400 times
image.jpeg
Tibial Nail
image.jpeg (453.56 KiB) Viewed 6400 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: The Hazards of non shooting sports.

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Aug 2016, 7:40 pm

What, no bones protruding? Need to try harder ol' mate!
Hope it heals well and you're up and about soon. :drinks:
If you get bored I'll send you a lead pot and some molds and you can cast a few thousand bullets for me. ;)
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Aug 2016, 7:46 pm

Gamerancher wrote:What, no bones protruding? Need to try harder ol' mate!
Hope it heals well and you're up and about soon. :drinks:
If you get bored I'll send you a lead pot and some molds and you can cast a few thousand bullets for me. ;)

No that was the first time I broke this leg second time fortunate to keep all bones inside my body. I'm sure I'll keep myself occupied loading up some ladder tests for the 6slr and pillar and glass bedding it. So when I'm all healed up I can test her out and load up some quality ammo.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Aug 2016, 7:50 pm

At least it's not harvest time, that would really be a pain in the ar#e.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Aug 2016, 7:54 pm

Gamerancher wrote:At least it's not harvest time, that would really be a pain in the ar#e.

Yes yes it would be, that or seeding! Also stoked that it's just a leg not a back or neck.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 17 Aug 2016, 7:54 pm

Yeowch that's nasty! Makes my 20% torn quad (did it playing a running game with my Scouts) seem a bit pathetic really.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 17 Aug 2016, 7:56 pm

Ouch!!! Surprised I'm the first to ask HTF did you manage to do that? Obviously a high level of commitment was required but mate....that's gotta hurt.

Let me know if you need me to come down and shoot your ferals with your guns, drink your beer and wear out your thongs :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigtone » 17 Aug 2016, 7:57 pm

Nice work! How did you do that?
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Aug 2016, 8:03 pm

Noisydad wrote:Yeowch that's nasty! Makes my 20% torn quad (did it playing a running game with my Scouts) seem a bit pathetic really.

Perhaps but a torn muscle may take longer to fully heal since there is little they can do to it other than let it heal. Sure mine looks more impressive but it can already bear weight thanks to the titanium nail thorough my leg. I did it at a measly 20-30kph on my Bike. Leg went between handlebars and bike and had nowhere to go when I fell off the Bike and the bike fell on my leg. Sad really I've come some impressively long high speed stacks with no injuries even hit an emu at 100+kph to no avail other than a dead emu and a slow stack and I end up with a mangled leg.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 17 Aug 2016, 8:08 pm

I always knew motorcycles should be banned! Motorcycle riders need to be protected from themselves! Maybe they should be classed as a weapon and controlled by the government for the greater good of society!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Aug 2016, 8:08 pm

Where I was just after getting my leg out from under the bike and where I stacked it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (107.15 KiB) Viewed 6361 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (107.19 KiB) Viewed 6361 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Aug 2016, 8:09 pm

bigtone wrote:I always knew motorcycles should be banned! Motorcycle riders need to be protected from themselves! Maybe they should be classed as a weapon and controlled by the government for the greater good of society!

Between that guns and farming I think I'll be hobby/jobless in a few years.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 17 Aug 2016, 8:10 pm

I can tell you from experience that ktm and Yamaha bust legs too! What size is your Honda?
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Aug 2016, 8:17 pm

bigtone wrote:I can tell you from experience that ktm and Yamaha bust legs too! What size is your Honda?

I've no doubt. It's a CRF450x you ride much mate?
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2016, 8:27 pm

Bloomin' heck! Heal up well, Mallee.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigtone » 17 Aug 2016, 8:40 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:
bigtone wrote:I can tell you from experience that ktm and Yamaha bust legs too! What size is your Honda?

I've no doubt. It's a CRF450x you ride much mate?

Rode dirt bikes for 36years more than 10hrs per week. Haven't ridden the dirt squirters now for a couple of years because they can't repair my legs anymore. So now I am confined to riding my Harley. Had a few YZ450s a few years back but the last 7 were Ktm's . Have a maverick 1000 XMR now instead.
Unfortunately I never broke bones because they seem to heal up ok so you should be right! Be kind to your knees!
All the best with your recovery!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Aug 2016, 8:59 pm

That's a bit of bad luck MalleeFarmer.

You sure did a good job of it.

I gave away the fast bikes after I made a life changing mess of myself on my CR500
Bikes that can wheel stand in every gear sure are fun but eventually you realize that your not 16 years old and made of rubber anymore.

Time for a Honda CT110 :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2016, 9:06 pm

I hope the recovery goes well.

My last crash. Very, very low speed but did tons of damage to my right shoulder. Slicks in the wet the day after drift cars had filled the track surface with melted rubber. If you've ever tried walking on a wet conveyor belt you'll know how slippery it was :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv5shmaWrGs

The pin was in for nine months.
Attachments
RightShoulder2.jpg
RightShoulder2.jpg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 6221 times
RightShoulder1.jpg
RightShoulder1.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 6221 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Aug 2016, 9:07 pm

Nope no CT for me I'm keeping the X but trying to convince the missus a new EFI CRF450RX is the Go. If not I'll have to buy more guns.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Aug 2016, 9:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:I hope the recovery goes well.

My last crash. Very, very low speed but did tons of damage to my right shoulder. Slicks in the wet the day after drift cars had filled the track surface with melted rubber. If you've ever tried walking on a wet conveyor belt you'll know how slippery it was :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv5shmaWrGs

The pin was in for nine months.

Looks like she bit and slammed you over the bars.. Ouch... I did the same thing at 100+ but in sand the other thing is I think at speed the bike and rider seperate And seem to skid horizontally better.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2016, 9:26 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Looks like she bit and slammed you over the bars.. Ouch... I did the same thing at 100+ but in sand the other thing is I think at speed the bike and rider seperate And seem to skid horizontally better.

Yeah, that was my 31st crash, I prefer the faster ones I think. My fastest was just over 200kph coming over the hill at Wanneroo in '91, did a collar bone that time. I've been very lucky in never having any serious leg injuries. Didn't matter how badly my arms, shoulders, back or ribs were smashed, as long as I could still get around I was pretty happy :-)

The shoulder is coming along pretty well though two years on, although six rounds of twelve-gauge last week woke it up :-)

I hope your leg comes together a lot faster than my shoulder took.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 17 Aug 2016, 10:22 pm

I watched the crash several times Bladeracer, virtually no warning before slapping you into the bitumen...Ouch!!!
I high sided a Hayabusa in 2003 (Doing something stupid) and got launched through the air landing head first into the road before gravel surfing on my face till I collected a parked car. End result was shoulder ripped from socket, minor brain damage or major depending on who you ask :D Several days in intensive care, a banged up bike and an extremely pissed off missus. The screwing together of the shoulder has a side effect of being able to handle recoil better than previously.

DSC00002.JPG
Helmet
DSC00002.JPG (97.23 KiB) Viewed 5988 times

Moral to the story....Cars still hurt motorcyclists even when parked...Ban ALL cars !!! :D

Here's an unrelated pic of my left knee....Not bike related. I'll explain how it happened another time...I get laughed at enough already :lol:
IMAG0034.jpg
Hurts more then it looks :(
IMAG0034.jpg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2016, 11:03 pm

Yep, bikes are bloody good fun :-)
I've had three concussions, one split my helmet open from the bottom left side, up behind my left ear to the top. Lost several months of memory from that one but no lasting damage. Got cleaned up by another rider from behind and my bike came down on my head and back while I was sliding across the track, did my left shoulder and a whole lot of ribs in that one :-)

I wish my shoulders were stronger than before! My left isn't too bad but my right is still teetering on the edge due to the amount of blood vessel disruption in the humerus. When they put it together they gave me a five-percent chance of the bone surviving, and we were all amazed when it started showing signs of healing. Need to baby it for a while yet, but less money spent racing is more money to spend shooting ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 18 Aug 2016, 9:23 am

Looking at those x-Rays, you wouldn't want those surgeons repairing a broken chair!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2016, 11:43 am

bigtone wrote:I always knew motorcycles should be banned! Motorcycle riders need to be protected from themselves! Maybe they should be classed as a weapon and controlled by the government for the greater good of society!

Might I add all water sports should be banned too.. About 200 people drown every year..

I live much closer that Brett so Im available from tomorrow. Lol
Last edited by Oldbloke on 18 Aug 2016, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 Aug 2016, 11:43 am

Gwion wrote:Looking at those x-Rays, you wouldn't want those surgeons repairing a broken chair!

Was just thinking that myself.

Mallee, now you have an excuse to sit in a rockingchair on the back verandah with a rifle on your lap all day. Do you own a pipe?

All the best and hope it heals up quickly for you
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Aug 2016, 11:50 am

Gwion wrote:Looking at those x-Rays, you wouldn't want those surgeons repairing a broken chair!

I bet they wish they could use duct tape too :-)
I had my shoulder put together in Perth but the steel came out in Gippsland. They opened me up and _then_ realised they had no tool that fitted the weird screw heads. So, all my screws were removed with vice-grip pliers!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 18 Aug 2016, 1:53 pm

Oh my... They did that surgery in a farm shed????
:lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 18 Aug 2016, 4:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I bet they wish they could use duct tape too :-)
I had my shoulder put together in Perth but the steel came out in Gippsland. They opened me up and _then_ realised they had no tool that fitted the weird screw heads. So, all my screws were removed with vice-grip pliers!

No Bunnings in Gippsland? :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 18 Aug 2016, 4:19 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:

Was just thinking that myself.

Mallee, now you have an excuse to sit in a rockingchair on the back verandah with a rifle on your lap all day. Do you own a pipe?

All the best and hope it heals up quickly for you

No I don't but I'm sure I could get one off eBay. I think it'd have to be SxS 12g to look legit.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation