Making .223 bullets from .22LR cases

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Making .223 bullets from .22LR cases

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jun 2016, 3:09 pm

I've been up to the SSAA Belmont range and there is a shooter that wages his own projectiles from 22mag, cases. Was only shooting at 50 yds., groups were about 1". Very interesting to talk to and I've ran into him a few times there now.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 22 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm

I assume that he is shooting a .243, as they are the most common diameter projectile made from .22 mag cases.
22 mag cases are getting harder to find but there seems to be pleanty of 17 HMR laying around. You can make any weight .243 projectile with them. They are a bit more fiddly as you have to cut the shoulder off before derimming.
It is good to hear that there are more bullet swager getting about. Projectiles are not getting any cheaper.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 05 Jul 2016, 6:24 am

To Chriso72
Pm sent
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 15 Jul 2016, 10:00 pm

Just found this Forum and this thread, I have a lot of swaging gear but haven't started swaging yet and was wondering what presses those of you that are swaging are using?
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 18 Jul 2016, 1:41 pm

Tripod wrote:Just found this Forum and this thread, I have a lot of swaging gear but haven't started swaging yet and was wondering what presses those of you that are swaging are using?

I run a Corbin CSP-1, also use it for reloading

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 18 Jul 2016, 2:20 pm

Bills Shed wrote:
Tripod wrote:Just found this Forum and this thread, I have a lot of swaging gear but haven't started swaging yet and was wondering what presses those of you that are swaging are using?

Bill

I have a CHP1 and a heap of dies to do various lead projectiles but as yet I haven't ordered the dies to do jacketed.
Where in Tas are you located, It would be great to meet so I can pick your brains. I am in Oatlands
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 18 Jul 2016, 3:28 pm

Tripod wrote:
Bills Shed wrote:

Bill

I have a CHP1 and a heap of dies to do various lead projectiles but as yet I haven't ordered the dies to do jacketed.
Where in Tas are you located, It would be great to meet so I can pick your brains. I am in Oatlands

I will be in you area in the next week :D Send me a PM with your details and I give you a call to discuss.
Pictured is the 40 gn with a 1E nose, 52 gn with 5S open tip and a 69 gn with the 5S open tip.

The 69 gn was a .22 Mag case derimmed, at .243", then drawn down to .220", and then trimmed to required length.
These are still being tested in fast twist barrels and the shooting ability is still an unknown. By drawing down the case from .243" to .220" it thickened the walls up considerably as I only used a .189" internal punch opposed to the .199" punch commonly used to make jackets. This may lead to inconsistent wall thickness and so poor or no groupings. Will post results as I get them. My theory is that the thicker walls will handle the higher RPM of the fast twist barrels.

Bill
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4076 times
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jul 2016, 5:25 pm

Very impressive Bill.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 18 Jul 2016, 7:21 pm

Yep. They do look good, Bill.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bills Shed » 01 Aug 2016, 7:51 pm

Got some results in for the thicker jacket, .224, 69 gn open tip, flat base
I do not have a .223 but a mate up the road was willing to test them. I wanted to test these projectiles in a fast twist barrel and so loaded up 15 rounds and three foulers. The rifle is a WFA-1 with a 1 in 8 barrel. Basic case prep was done, uniformed primer pockets, cleaned in SS pins, and flash hole deburred internally, trimmed to length and weighed.
Rounds were loaded with a min book load from the ADI web site of 24.0 gn of 2208. 2208 was used as it was the only powder I had in stock suitable for .223 As I had a dig around in my mystery bucket of old brass to find some cases, I came up with 10 cases that were nickel plated with the same head stamp and weighed to within .2 gn of each other and 5 plain brass cases again within .2 of each other with the same head stamp as the nickel plated brass. The three foulers were various cases.
As the pics show the 10 rounds that had nickel plated brass shot pretty good groups.
The 10 rounds were fired in two groups of five and each group had a flier but the shooter called the flyer in both instances. Group one was .925 and group two is a hair under 1"
Of interest is the third group that was plain brass cases that were loaded exactly the same as the other 10 rounds. That group was just on two inches.
My main aim was to test the projectiles to see if they would hold together in a fast twist barrel and on that note all projectiles made it to the target, there was no key holing.
For a projectile I made out of scrap .22 mag brass that was dug out of my mystery bucket and to get groups around a inch will do just fine. I do not shoot the heavy pills but it is good to know that I can build them and the cost is minimal. It did take a bit of work to start with and the experiments are still being done. I have some being loaded by a bloke in Qld and they will go through a Tika T3.
This is only three groups and by no means conclusive in regards to accuracy of the projectile but it is promising, they held together and I made them.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 4046 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4046 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 4046 times
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Aug 2016, 8:58 pm

Id be happy with that. A bit of tweaking might improve them too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 01 Aug 2016, 10:46 pm

Groups are measured center to center.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 02 Aug 2016, 6:18 am

Tripod wrote:Groups are measured center to center.

You are right, and when you do the maths the numbers sound even better!

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Elek » 08 Aug 2016, 3:16 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Very impressive Bill.

Second that.

At a glance you would easily think they are factory.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics