.50BMG illegal in Queensland?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

.50BMG illegal in Queensland?

Post by Mark.A » 10 Dec 2014, 4:21 pm

I was led to believe that 50BMG and anything to do with these rounds, in a rifle, was .. Illegal in our great banana bending state...

Does anyone have the inside track on that one?

Mark
And thats the way it is..

Proud owner of

Zastava .17HMR .22 .22WMR .223
Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

and other odds and bobs..
Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: 50BMG

Post by brett1868 » 10 Dec 2014, 5:11 pm

Yep, definitely not legal in QLD along with the 416 Barrett, 375 Cheytac and I believe also the 338 Lap. Move south :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 10 Dec 2014, 5:30 pm

brett1868 wrote:Yep, definitely not legal in QLD along with the 416 Barrett, 375 Cheytac and I believe also the 338 Lap. Move south :)

338 lapur is O.K as long as you have enough property to shoot it!!! All most all ranges here won't let you shoot them!!!! We can use one up on the farm as it's 16000 acres. :D :) :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Mark.A » 10 Dec 2014, 5:39 pm

Yeh I thought so, the friendly people at the Weapons licensing branch, I am pretty sure where wondering what I was talking about when I asked, and one of the dealers was going on about how you can get them, but you cant, and so on and so forth... ;) Thanks for the clarification :)

nb. I would move south, but I am happy here.. I get all the aggrivation and abuse I can handle from the Ex wife here, why would I swap that for .. oh wait...

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 10 Dec 2014, 7:59 pm

The 1/2" Browning is fun to shoot but I consider it a little over rated for anything other than posing with or as therapy for small man syndrome. I personally prefer the .375 Cheytac round for the serious long distance accuracy work. The majority of the hunting I do is with either my Sako 22-250 or DTA SRS .338 Lap as this combo covers just about any game I'm likely to encounter in NSW apart from project managers cause they deserve nothing less than 750gr of Hornady's biggest AMAX :D :D :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mark.A » 11 Dec 2014, 8:32 am

Yes well.. Project Managers, Architects, Builders... They are all a special breed and require special treatment... EOL

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 11 Dec 2014, 10:02 am

The old kind of legal....in Vic the Browning is definitely legal, but those with too much discretion when it comes to the activities of lawful shooters, will only approve a PTA if you're a member of 1 specific Club......and only if the club agrees!

Because the 50 and all rounds similar or based on the same case are so 'dangerous' they need to be especially regulated.... In reality, a 30 cal supermag will shoot will a similar if not a flatter trajectory at extended range. So, assuming you can place the projectile on a target* at say 1 or 1.5km or more (like everyone has been taught to be sh$t scare of occurring, if a human target receives a 220grain impact or a 600plus grain impact..... will there be a different result?

Just out of interest, the following was the justification for the civilian import ban proposed by the feds, this will return....;

-----------------------------------------
Consultation Paper

Proposed amendments to the
Firearms Importation Regime
Regulation 4F and Schedule 6 of the
Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956
6. Restrictions on .50 BMG firearms
Issue
The Regulations currently classify single shot and repeating centrefire rifles under Item 2,
regardless of their calibre. These rifles will only fall to the higher controls of Item 6 if they
are self-loading centre fire rifles, or Item 12 if they are fully automatic or military rifles.
Articles classified under Item 2 can be imported under the Police Certification test,
administered by the States and Territories.
Page 7 of 34
This means that calibres previously designed for military use are being marketed to civilian
shooters for extra long range target shooting and hunting. In particular, a number of
international manufacturers are releasing firearms capable of firing .50 calibre Browning
Machine Gun (BMG) cartridges and derivatives of this cartridge.
.50 BMG firearms pose a significant risk based on their very long range and high penetrating
power. The cartridges are over 14 centimetres long, can fire a projectile over a distance of up
to 3000 metres and are capable of penetrating an inch of armour plate at 200 metres.
In military use, these projectiles are designed to destroy parked or low flying aircraft, light
armoured vehicles, armoured limousines, bulk fuel storage facilities and to penetrate
buildings. In the long range sniping role, they are also capable of accurately hitting human
targets at a range in excess of 1500 metres
. These firearms therefore pose a high threat if
used for criminal or terrorist activities.
There is little justification for civilian ownership of these firearms. Only two civilian ranges
(one in NSW and one in Victoria) are capable of accommodating this calibre and, for hunting
purposes, few if any game species (such as buffalo) require such a heavy calibre rifle, and
lesser powered ammunition will generally meet hunting requirements.

Proposal

It is proposed that the Regulations are amended so that .50 BMG firearms, cartridges,
derivatives of these cartridges and cartridge components
are subject to higher import controls
under the Regulations.
The effect of the amendment would be that these articles are only available to importers
under the Official Purposes, Specified Purposes and Returned Goods tests
Are there any other quasi-military calibres that should be restricted? Are there legitimate
civilian uses for these types of firearms?

-------------------------------------

Note they used the calibre description again here in place of the cartridge or chambering description.....5.56x45 is a MILITARY round, but 0.22 is the MILITARY calibre. and how many 22 calibre chamberings are there? same for the 30, 338, 50....

& does the military really take out 'low flying aircraft' as a standard operating procedure with the 50??
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by valkyrie » 11 Dec 2014, 12:19 pm

I know of 1 range in sa which is rated for .50 bmg however its only a 25m indoor one and that kind of takes the fun out of it :D:D:D
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 11 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

They were specific with the cartridge as 50 BMG which is the caliber and cartridge chambering. I've seen this proposal several times and doubt it'll get much traction due to the very low quantities of these rifles and their derivatives in circulation. If they ban the import then the only real impact on existing owners of these rifles will be the eventual loss of supply of primers to reload as all other components can be sourced locally from the likes of Woodleigh & ADI. For this reason I keep a stock of at least 3000 primers in reserve which should keep me going for a while at least.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Press » 11 Dec 2014, 8:51 pm

brett1868 wrote:For this reason I keep a stock of at least 3000 primers in reserve which should keep me going for a while at least.

Until next week at least :lol:
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 12 Dec 2014, 5:57 am

Mark.A wrote:Yes well.. Project Managers, Architects, Builders... They are all a special breed and require special treatment... EOL

Thanks I'm a bloody Builder !!!!!! :lol: :D :lol: I always new I was Special l!!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Harts » 12 Dec 2014, 11:23 am

valkyrie wrote:I know of 1 range in sa which is rated for .50 bmg however its only a 25m indoor one and that kind of takes the fun out of it :D:D:D

And the guy who lives in the house behind it just won't stop complaining :roll:

:lol:
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mark.A » 15 Dec 2014, 11:30 am

Westy wrote:
Mark.A wrote:Yes well.. Project Managers, Architects, Builders... They are all a special breed and require special treatment... EOL

Thanks I'm a bloody Builder !!!!!! :lol: :D :lol: I always new I was Special l!!!!!!

Sooo Special :)

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brisb » 15 Dec 2014, 12:50 pm

1290 wrote:In the long range sniping role, they are also capable of accurately hitting human targets at a range in excess of 1500 metres. These firearms therefore pose a high threat if used for criminal or terrorist activities.

Lets see them quote one example that would support that here.

Bet they can't.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: .50BMG illegal in Queensland?

Post by cooker » 15 Dec 2014, 12:52 pm

The cartridges are over 14 centimetres long

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG 14cm long!!!!

What does that have to do with f***ing anything. Complete BS designed to try and make people get worried over nothing.
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Mark.A » 15 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm

But just like in WA and other states, it big, its scary, and and and...

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 15 Dec 2014, 6:36 pm

In the long range sniping role, they are also capable of accurately hitting human targets at a range in excess of 1,500 metres. These firearms therefore pose a high threat if used for criminal or terrorist activities.

:lol: what a crock.

Go drop 15k on a rifle, spend a few months training for consistent 1,500m shooting.

Yeah, I'm sure heaps of criminals are in the process of that right now :roll:
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Queensland gun laws