Tripod mounted Shooting?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Tripod mounted Shooting?

Post by TBJ » 06 Aug 2018, 9:08 pm

I've seen this a fair bit in the PRC/PRS guys in the states and also with hunters in both Australia and the US, although mostly in the states where they have the gun clamped in and on a camera tripod. I saw the MOD7 PIG and HOG mounts in a magazine and was wondering what about these sort of setups for foxes, roos and rabbits, maybe even deer? also since I know nothing about the concept, has anyone done it, or have any insight into it and what ones are good and maybe an inexpensive one to give a go and see. Also most of my guns are in a more traditional stock, I don't own any chassis or anything, so are these able to be used with traditional laminate, synthetic and wood stocks or is it only for tactical stuff, also will it mar/damage my wood and laminate stocks?, and is it just a plain camera tripod or is it something sturdier?
thanks

Here is the sort of thing I'm talking about:
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Tripod mounted Shooting?

Post by Rod_outbak » 06 Aug 2018, 9:35 pm

I use a cheap old 'OPTEX' branded photographic tripod, with a large rag wrapped around the Plate on top of the tripod. I think it cost me around $80 in about 1996, and was considered a bottom-end still-camera tripod at the time. Fully extended, it probably reaches to about 1.6 metres high?? Once I have it adjusted to the right height for the rifle I'm using, it's a few seconds to plonk the tripod down, and rest the rifle on top. I walk and pokk grasshoppers most mornings and evenings, and this ratty old tripod has done a great job.
I have 2 other Manfrotto tripods, but they are much heavier(designed for video), and arent as easy to use.

I've eyed off the professional shooting ones, but I havent yet found the money they cost offers anything better than the old Optex..

I probably add 150 metres extra distance to my shooting by carrying the tripod around with me.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TBJ » 06 Aug 2018, 9:37 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I use a cheap old 'OPTEX' branded photographic tripod, with a large rag wrapped around the Plate on top of the tripod. I think it cost me around $80 in about 1996, and was considered a bottom-end still-camera tripod at the time. Fully extended, it probably reaches to about 1.6 metres high?? Once I have it adjusted to the right height for the rifle I'm using, it's a few seconds to plonk the tripod down, and rest the rifle on top. I walk and pokk grasshoppers most mornings and evenings, and this ratty old tripod has done a great job.
I have 2 other Manfrotto tripods, but they are much heavier(designed for video), and arent as easy to use.

I've eyed off the professional shooting ones, but I havent yet found the money they cost offers anything better than the old Optex..

I probably add 150 metres extra distance to my shooting by carrying the tripod around with me.

from the sounds of it tripod shooting works, do you have any pics of how you have the gun on the tripod?
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Aug 2018, 9:46 pm

I made one a few years back now using a camera tripod and mount I made to suit the rifle and the issue I had with it was me not being able to stabilize myself enough which resulted in the rifle moving around too much to be any good. I found the bipod to be better as I could load it up and brace myself up against a tree in the sitting position or lay down prone if I have the right height bipod on.

And don't get me started on Monopods - I was like Steady Eddie using one of those :lol:

bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by TBJ » 06 Aug 2018, 10:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I made one a few years back now using a camera tripod and mount I made to suit the rifle and the issue I had with it was me not being able to stabilize myself enough which resulted in the rifle moving around too much to be any good. I found the bipod to be better as I could load it up and brace myself up against a tree in the sitting position or lay down prone if I have the right height bipod on.

looks pretty good to me, although I see where you have problems and that was why I was looking at one of the systems that actually clamps the gun like the HOG/PIG saddles or Tri-Clawps, but not sure if it will ruin my stock, I figured you could load it up almost like a bipod whilst still standing and also tracking the animal better, or do I have the wrong idea? honestly just trying to see if this concept is worth giving it a go
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Aug 2018, 7:09 am

TBJ,

I dont clamp mine at all, so it's a bit hard to show you an example of it. I just rest the rifle up on top of the (padded) tripod plate when I'm shooting.

Honestly; from walking, it takes a second or two to drop the tripod, and another couple of seconds to perch the rifle on top. Having done it a few thousand times now, it is second nature to go from walking with tripod in one hand & rifle in the other, to being ready to shoot.

It's never going to be as solid as sitting in front of a shooting bench, but I'd have to attribute nearly 1000 dead grasshoppers the past 8 months to the old Optex & rag. Most of these were well past 200 metres.

I purposefully bought my RPR because it was compact enough to walk with, but also heavy enough to help me recover some of the upper body strength I lost over the past 5 years of being a house-bound invalid. Also, my knees are pretty crap these days, and so I needed an option where I could shoot from a standing position.
The tripod has turned out to be far better for my Walk & Pokk, than I expected. While I'd like to fashion up a better top-plate bracket/shoe (like bigfellascott has made), I can keep using what I have now without much hassle. There might easily be another thousand grasshoppers on the ground before I get around to making a bracket.

I'm not 100% sure you will find the clamp-on tripod heads all that useful. I noticed that a couple of my rifles arent weighted where the stock rests in the tripod, so I dont think I'd be overlly confident in having them perched on there free-standing; a good gust of wind might drop the whole thing onto the ground. Maybe the commercially-available tripods are heavy enough to negate this, but then that will make them a lot more heavy to lug around.
A U-shaped padded slot to rest the rifle into would certainly be better than my flat-top arrangement, but I question whether you'll get much more benefit from having it all clamped together.

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
HUNT0115 (2).JPG
HUNT0115 (2).JPG (169.93 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 07 Aug 2018, 7:16 pm

I made a small U section out of some heavy alloy tube, milled a flat ,drilled and tapped a hole then glued some stubby holder on the inside. Works well at the range on an old op shop tripod. Took 15 mins to make and less than $10 invested :thumbsup: Thread was 10 20 UNC from memory. Tube was a section of an old (used) small fire extinguisher.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2018, 7:57 pm

Gees Rod...do you realise you posted a pic of a guy that looks as if he's just robbed a country camera store...
He doesnt seem too fussed about it neither... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2018, 8:07 pm

You can buy purpose made tripods for about $50 on fleabay if you shop around.
Or perhaps try extra long shooting sticks.

Monopods are useless.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 07 Aug 2018, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Aug 2018, 8:22 pm

[quote="Stix"]
Gees Rod...do you realise you posted a pic of a guy that looks as if he's just robbed a country camera store...
He doesnt seem too fussed about it neither... :lol:
[/quote]

In my defence, it was freaking cold, and there werent any grasshoppers to Pokk...

REALLY annoying; I badly want to be reloading right now, but I've got to get bookwork resolved so I can take some of it to the accountant next week to plan our cash-flow for the next year or so.
I HATE bookwork at the best of times, and the thoughtless mailman delivered the new reloading press(Forster Co-Axial), which is now calling to me...
I reckon if I ditched the bookwork, I could have a couple of hundred 125gn SST's loaded by tomorrow night....

Farrrkk; I HATE bookwork....

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2018, 8:39 pm

"Farrrkk; I HATE bookwork..."

Computer is far better. Try a spreadsheet.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by axio » 07 Aug 2018, 9:06 pm

Budget Tripod build. Can tie onto the tripod or just use as a rest, also folds down for easy fitting in a daypack

tripod.png
tripod.png (731.87 KiB) Viewed 1165 times

Folding tripod from ebay- > 'Zomei Q666'

2x Carinya bracket to suit the size of your stock -> https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/brands/c/carinya
*Combine the brackets, drill a hold in the brackets and use a nut to attach them to the tripod mount

Small nylon tie down

Those foam mats from bunnings to cut up as padding

Duct tape (essential)
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment