Ruger American .17 HMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Sep 2018, 3:36 pm

Anyone on the forum got one of these. I was at the local gunstore the other day and just had to put a deposit on one. My stepson hogs my 22 magnum when we go bunny shooting. So I thought “stuff it: I’ll get a hmr”.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 264
Western Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by duncan61 » 03 Sep 2018, 3:45 pm

The first time I was shown the .17 HMR in Bunbury at Sportsmarine I just had to have something in that chambering and ordered a Ruger lever rifle.it was a good call and I had years of plinking fun till I sold it to a mate.The little pill will surprise you with its power on rabbits out to 180 metres.20 grain rounds are available as well as the standard 17gn
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1586
Western Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Sep 2018, 7:17 pm

I am planning to use it for bunnies. I shoot on a place where they like to sit outside a comfortable 22 lr range. I reckon it should be a lot of fun. The lad can keep using the magnum and I’ll use the 17. I am very happy with the Ruger American in 22 magnum, so I think the 17 should be good as well. As long as it’s not blowing 12 bastards.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 264
Western Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by albat » 05 Sep 2018, 4:18 pm

its a bloody good grasshopper round if you need to do a cull , head popping them with the extreme accuracy of the round is a breeze with zero recoil
albat
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 497
Queensland

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Bruiser64 » 08 Sep 2018, 10:31 pm

That sounds good. I know the magnum is pretty effective with the giant bunnies. So it’s good to hear the hmr can do the job as well. I am looking forward to the flatter trajectory. I think the Ruger Americans are excellent value. If a fox comes into range it should be in trouble as well.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 264
Western Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by duncan61 » 09 Sep 2018, 12:00 am

Never owned a .22 magnum but have shot one once and been with shooters that had them I have always felt they were not exactly pinpoint accuracy with the copper painted cast lead slug .The .17 HMR is the most accurate Rimfire around with its ballistic tip and boat tail projectile you will out shoot the Magnum all day.Perhaps there is better Magnum ammo available today
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1586
Western Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2018, 1:02 am

duncan61 wrote:Never owned a .22 magnum but have shot one once and been with shooters that had them I have always felt they were not exactly pinpoint accuracy with the copper painted cast lead slug .The .17 HMR is the most accurate Rimfire around with its ballistic tip and boat tail projectile you will out shoot the Magnum all day.Perhaps there is better Magnum ammo available today


Copper-plated cast lead in .22WMR?
You sure you're not thinking of the old .22WCF?
WMR is usually a jacketed .224" bullet the same as used in .223 and such.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5598
Victoria

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 09 Sep 2018, 9:36 am

Love my 17hmr bunnies foxes and great for culling on a calm night easily shoot out to 150 no troubles. I am curious about the 22mag but to tell you the truth im happy with the 17 and feel it does thw job perfectly.
Why So Serious?
Sako Varmint Stainless 243
Marlin 917v Stainless
Lithgow La101 .22
1917 BSA 303 (ted)
Finnish Vkt 1944 M39
Tikka T3X Super Varmint Satinless 223
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Howa 1500 Stainless 308
BSA CF2 222 Remington
Colt 1911 9mm
Adler 12G
User avatar
AZZA'S HJ47
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 459
Queensland

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Stix » 09 Sep 2018, 9:43 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Love my 17hmr bunnies foxes and great for culling on a calm night easily shoot out to 150 no troubles. I am curious about the 22mag but to tell you the truth im happy with the 17 and feel it does thw job perfectly.


Stop ssying this stuff...ive convinced myself i dont need or want one & you're doing nothing towards helping me to keep this mind set.!! :sarcasm:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2490
South Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Bruiser64 » 09 Sep 2018, 10:37 am

bladeracer wrote:
duncan61 wrote:Never owned a .22 magnum but have shot one once and been with shooters that had them I have always felt they were not exactly pinpoint accuracy with the copper painted cast lead slug .The .17 HMR is the most accurate Rimfire around with its ballistic tip and boat tail projectile you will out shoot the Magnum all day.Perhaps there is better Magnum ammo available today


Copper-plated cast lead in .22WMR?
You sure you're not thinking of the old .22WCF?
WMR is usually a jacketed .224" bullet the same as used in .223 and such.


I use the 30 grain Hornady Vmax ammo and that goes pretty well. It’s certainly accurate enough to head shoot a giant bunny out to 70 or so metres. I think the hmr will complement the magnum nicely. My problem with the magnum is I can’t pry it from my young stepson’s grasp.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 264
Western Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Bruiser64 » 09 Sep 2018, 10:43 am

Stix wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Love my 17hmr bunnies foxes and great for culling on a calm night easily shoot out to 150 no troubles. I am curious about the 22mag but to tell you the truth im happy with the 17 and feel it does thw job perfectly.


Stop ssying this stuff...ive convinced myself i dont need or want one & you're doing nothing towards helping me to keep this mind set.!! :sarcasm:


I was in the same boat. I went with the magnum over the hmr. Then I got the 204. But I realised my life was lacking the hmr. So I thought stuff it, I’ll get one anyway. The amount it will cost me is less than some blokes I work with spend on grog and durries in a month. I’ll have the hmr for years after they forgot about the cartons they drank.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 264
Western Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Miniaction » 09 Sep 2018, 1:48 pm

I picked a second hand one up at the start of the year.

It loves the 17gr poly tip particularly the CCI A17. I had nothing but issues with the Winchester 20 gr hollow point. It would fire but not extract every single round. No other brand had the issue so I don’t run any winny stuff anymore.

If there’s any wind though don’t bother...
Miniaction
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 14
Queensland

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Gaznazdiak » 09 Sep 2018, 2:41 pm

I was in the market for an HMR when I was shown the WSM. I wasn't disappointed I chose the much more powerful and accurate Winchester round. The only drawback was the price of ammo due to it's relative rarity.

The rabbit in the first pic was at about 160m, and the round went through diagonally from the left shoulder, on the way through it pulverised about 3in of spine.

The second pic is the top of some W strap stock yard that I accidentally clipped at 60m. That's the top where it is folded double and about 6mm thick.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg (509.35 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
20160906_170531.jpg
20160906_170531.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 1165 times
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1973
New South Wales

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by ClaytonT88 » 09 Sep 2018, 6:28 pm

Bloody hell, that's got some punch!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
User avatar
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 141
South Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by NUTSACK » 10 Sep 2018, 6:54 pm

I have the Ruger American in .22 mag and really like it for a play rifle. I think they would be a good thing in any light calibre especially for the price..I only went the .22 Mag as the 17hmr ammo was near impossible to find when i was buying but i want to swap it for a 17Hmr in the same rifle..
NUTSACK
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 24
New South Wales

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 Sep 2018, 8:58 pm

NUTSACK wrote:I have the Ruger American in .22 mag and really like it for a play rifle. I think they would be a good thing in any light calibre especially for the price..I only went the .22 Mag as the 17hmr ammo was near impossible to find when i was buying but i want to swap it for a 17Hmr in the same rifle..


They are a beautiful thing the 22 magnum. For the price of a new hmr, I will have both. Licensing firearms in WA is such a quest that I am better off not getting rid of any of them. I love the light weight and the feel of the Ruger American Rimfire. I can see why they are selling well.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 264
Western Australia

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by NUTSACK » 19 Sep 2018, 6:20 pm

Whilst the magnum is good i just feel i can shoot better than the accuracy i get from it. I also like flat fast shooting cartridges for some reason..
NUTSACK
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 24
New South Wales

Re: Ruger American .17 HMR

Post by Bill » 20 Sep 2018, 8:01 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:I was in the market for an HMR when I was shown the WSM. I wasn't disappointed I chose the much more powerful and accurate Winchester round. The only drawback was the price of ammo due to it's relative rarity.

The rabbit in the first pic was at about 160m, and the round went through diagonally from the left shoulder, on the way through it pulverised about 3in of spine.

The second pic is the top of some W strap stock yard that I accidentally clipped at 60m. That's the top where it is folded double and about 6mm thick.


Did you shoot some targets to back up your accurate claim ??? most interweb searchs reveal the 17WSM to struggle with accuracy. What gun have you got ?
User avatar
Bill
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 264
New South Wales

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles