Polaris v CanAm v whatever side x side

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Polaris v CanAm v whatever side x side

Post by Boundry Rider » 15 Mar 2024, 6:52 pm

Going in for a shooting buggy/utv or side x side whatever the catchphrase is atm.
Whose got what and why?
Leaning toward the CanAm 900 so far...
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Polaris v CanAm v whatever side x side

Post by wanneroo » 16 Mar 2024, 12:30 am

I have an older Kubota RTV 900. I call it my little mule. It's a diesel and fulfills many jobs.

To replace it I think down the road I like the Can Am Defender with the 6 foot long bed. The Can Am seems to have all the features I want.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by GQshayne » 17 Mar 2024, 7:53 pm

My tip is do not buy one with a single cyllinder engine. The four stroke "thump" carries a liong way in the bush. Twins are a lot quieter.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 18 Mar 2024, 1:43 pm

Yup has to be multiple cyl, single cyl noise signature carries miles.
One of my station owners has diesel Mules, he rekons you rest your toe on the accelerator when you take a shot to get the vibration gap right. I'll stay away from diesels.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunderson » 18 Mar 2024, 3:42 pm

for the cost of the damn things Id sooner take a grinder and welder to an old ute for a farm shootin buggy lol
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Boundry Rider » 18 Mar 2024, 4:32 pm

Haha I know big $$$
I gotta drag it around a trailer with an RTT on top sometimes long distances (up to 1500kms) for outings
I've used old Falcons, a Jeep and a Jackaroo before back in WA as onsite rigs, but too big to tow around mobile though.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunderson » 18 Mar 2024, 5:15 pm

Boundry Rider wrote:Haha I know big $$$
I gotta drag it around a trailer with an RTT on top sometimes long distances (up to 1500kms) for outings
I've used old Falcons, a Jeep and a Jackaroo before back in WA as onsite rigs, but too big to tow around mobile though.

Yeah rogee, The price turns me off immensely, being an engineer I would make my own should I want one... I just cant see where the money goes in them. Gotta just be toy tax
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Faedy » 18 Mar 2024, 10:06 pm

I've got a polaris 570 side by side.
Great shooting rig.
I installed a 2nd battery for all my accessories so I don't get stranded.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 19 Mar 2024, 12:04 am

Yes I wouldn't mess with the single cylinder models.

The more HP and torque the better.

The advantage with these is they are lighter and smaller than a ute or SUV. In general if you take care of them and don't use them every day they last for years.

Here in the USA the SxS UTV thing is turning into a popular recreational sport. I saw in northern Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont the states have opened up hundreds of miles of trails which people drive these things on for fun. Where I live they are looking at opening up 300 miles of trails for them.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by NTSOG » 23 May 2024, 9:58 am

G'day,

Are any of these buggies road legal?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 23 May 2024, 1:13 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

Are any of these buggies road legal?

Jim

Yep. Mine is.
Blinkers, lights, flashing light, number plate. Maybe just a primary producer thing though.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 24 May 2024, 10:09 am

Well the Kubota is now gone and the Can Am Defender is in.

Big issue I am having is to put the snow plow on they put a lift kit on it which raises the bed to where it is not as usable as the Kubota.

The big plus is it is much better off road and has a cab with windows, a fold open windscreen and AC and heat. That will be a big help in winter rather than being exposed to the elements. It also makes it more usable in rainy conditions as well.

The motor I am still breaking in so I have not gone hog wild with it yet, but it seems to have power to get up and go.

Also the Kubota had a medium range which worked well for the mountain, this does not, low or high and low is too slow and high is ok, but I would prefer a medium setting.

Overall I think it will be fine but also I will miss my little mule Kubota. I wouldn't be opposed to getting one again.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by GQshayne » 24 May 2024, 7:11 pm

Dunno about the Kubota, but the Can Am has a CV Tech CVT as far as I know. Same as my CF Moto.If the Kubota is the same then you will be used to it already, but they take abit of getting used to if you have not used one before. I find Low only enages nicely from 15-20kmh and higher, below that is too much belt slip and just wearing it out.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 May 2024, 8:08 pm

The Kubota's have a hydrostatic transmission, they're unmatched in performance in steep hilly country, they don't run away down hill and stop / start with ease when going uphill.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 26 May 2024, 9:50 pm

Sat in a cfmoto last week
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 27 May 2024, 12:31 am

GQshayne wrote:Dunno about the Kubota, but the Can Am has a CV Tech CVT as far as I know. Same as my CF Moto.If the Kubota is the same then you will be used to it already, but they take abit of getting used to if you have not used one before. I find Low only enages nicely from 15-20kmh and higher, below that is too much belt slip and just wearing it out.

Yes, I have used CVTs before when I worked for car manufacturers so I have some experience with them.

It seems like the belt on the Can Am is considered a consumable item that will be replaced at some point, so we will see how that pans out long term.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 27 May 2024, 12:46 am

on_one_wheel wrote:The Kubota's have a hydrostatic transmission, they're unmatched in performance in steep hilly country, they don't run away down hill and stop / start with ease when going uphill.

Yes and pretty much that is what I have to deal with all the time, the mountain. They climb pretty good and yes going down hill if you get off the gas they pretty much come to a stop.

The issue with the Kubota is the cab and and interior set up is probably not as good as the Can Am and the cockpit is a little better in the Can Am.

I would buy another Kubota at some point down the road.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 May 2024, 7:35 pm

gunderson wrote:
Boundry Rider wrote:Haha I know big $$$

Yeah rogee, The price turns me off immensely, being an engineer I would make my own should I want one... I just cant see where the money goes in them. Gotta just be toy tax

I wonder how this would go with taller front tyres. Probably have to beef up frame with some gussets the choice of engine gearbox and diff are open.

Much lighter than other choices

Plans are available online for free or you could buy the book with details, google Ron Champion build your own sportscar.
Attachments
Caterham-off-roader.jpg
Caterham-off-roader.jpg (395.23 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Col » 28 May 2024, 7:15 am

We are running Polaris and Kubota around the farm and have found both have their pros and cons. All are bloody expensive, around $30k set up with windscreens etc, all are diesel. The parts for the Polaris are very expensive.
A neighbour has had petrol CanAms, but has also had 3 go up in flames due to grass build up underneath. That is why we run diesels, which still have grass build up underneath that needs monitoring. So beware of any with grass build up, especially with the petrol models.
The comments regarding single cylinder motors is relevant, especially for shunting. Also consider fitting a 2nd battery and a snorkel to reduce dust into the air filter. A trickle charger helps keep it charged up and ready to go if not used regularly.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Boundry Rider » 07 Jun 2024, 8:34 pm

Yahoo here we go...
2024 HD9 Defender XU
Attachments
Messenger_creation_864cc694-296d-43ed-b9db-f04b40d7a9e3.jpeg
Messenger_creation_864cc694-296d-43ed-b9db-f04b40d7a9e3.jpeg (360.37 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 08 Jun 2024, 11:49 am

Boundry Rider wrote:Yahoo here we go...
2024 HD9 Defender XU

Have fun with it. I've got the HD10 motor, 6x6, doors and climate control.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel