Rossi R95

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Rossi R95

Post by Cal-ApeR » 16 Aug 2024, 8:46 pm

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone in the forum has had to opportunity to check out the Rossi r95 or even own one? I've read and seen good things online but keen to get some real world opinions on it. I have a few 92s that are rough but are clearly made to a price point. They work for me. My understanding is the R95 is finished far better than their 92s.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Rossi R95

Post by Cape_Yorkee » 08 Sep 2024, 8:26 pm

I had a good look at a new 30-30 earlier this year at Katherine Rod and Rifle. They look the goods, very much a carbon copy of a 336 Marlin. Having used a 336 for work it is mechanically and aesthetically as close as one could get, but it's that 5% finish that probably puts the Marlin infront. I am guessing the Ruger made Marlins are even better than the 'Remlins', or better known as Gremlins.

For the few minutes that I played with one it cycled very nicely and was well weighted. A nice red dot on top and you'd be in business. I'm very much leaning towards a 30-30 or 44 Mag for shorter range work in the future and the R95 is very, very tempting
- 22LR Rossi Rio Bravo (lever)
- 243 Tikka T3X - Hawke 3-9×40
- 308 BRNO ZKK601
Cape_Yorkee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fester » 08 Sep 2024, 10:35 pm

Just the finish and fit sugest they may be a good thing and my smith mentioned other new Rossi's looked good.

I have a staino Dirty-30 Reo Grande and it must have been a Friday arvo build that should have been sent back.
Instead, he sold it to me on Abused Guns.
It was not so cheap after the work my smith put in to stop it jamming and I put scratches on it stripping it in the paddock with my leatherman to unload it.

I love it as it's a great fun gun and brush gun with the Skinner peep.

It also shoots lots of cast projy loads so cheap plinking fun and offhand practice.
Not having the micro grooves like Marlins it shoots all ammo well and the same.
Fester
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dedd » 09 Sep 2024, 9:06 pm

I own a short-barrelled R95. It's my first lever-action, so not a whole lot to compare it to.

It seems to shoot well, I haven't had a chance to really compile a set of groups after putting a scope on, but the 5 round group I did shoot for accuracy was 2 MOA at 100m. 1 MOA if you discard the flier, which might have been me. That's with basic factory round nose and just off a bag. If that's consistent I'll be pretty darn happy.
Build quality seems decent. One complaint I have is my magazine tube is mounted slightly crooked. You can adjust the dovetail, but the tube runs into the foregrip mount before it's completely straight. I adjusted so there's no pressure on anything and just left it like that. You can't really tell anyway and it works fine.
I gave the rifle a full strip down and clean when I bought it, and honestly there wasn't much manufacturing grit in it.

Also, not as many Marlin aftermarket or replacement parts fit as I thought would. No levers for example, which is a shame because I wanted one of the RPP medium looking levers. Mostly only stocks and rails fit.
Also the trigger isn't great. First trigger that actually annoys me. It's a stiff pull, closest comparison would be my Sulun shotgun. Maybe I won't notice it as much in the bush, but it's frustrating at the range.
Dedd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 17 Sep 2024, 9:15 pm

Thanks gents. I hadn't seen any replies on here for a while but thought I better check in. I ended up buying one. Still waiting on PTA. I've gone in blind, unseen but hoping it will be Bit of fun on pigs etc.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by zbenga » 02 Oct 2024, 10:48 pm

Had my eyes on one as well as the Henry all weather or Marline (ruger made) trapper
ended up with the trapper, felt better in every way than the R95 to me, Ruger really made it perfect, the machining is so so good compared to Remain and Rossi, the Rossy is quite agricultural when you take the lever out and look at how it's machined
Cheaper thou....
zbenga
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles