Poachers

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Poachers

Post by animalpest » 13 Oct 2024, 3:28 pm

Went to my (mostly) bush block today. Cameras set in the middle of 350 acres bush stolen. Again. Trespassing hunters on foot.

Some cut the locks but this time they are walking. Work boot tracks seen
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Coxy383 » 14 Oct 2024, 1:29 pm

animalpest wrote:Went to my (mostly) bush block today. Cameras set in the middle of 350 acres bush stolen. Again. Trespassing hunters on foot.

What can actually be done ya reckon. Getting out of hand
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 14 Oct 2024, 3:09 pm

Nobody wants to hear what can be done .
It's the reason they have more rights than law abiding citizens.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 14 Oct 2024, 3:55 pm

Thinking of a couple of options but need to consider the options first.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Flyonline » 14 Oct 2024, 4:13 pm

Can you open up the internals of the camera and insert an AirTag or the like?
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Coxy383 » 14 Oct 2024, 5:08 pm

Flyonline wrote:Can you open up the internals of the camera and insert an AirTag or the like?

Would want to be a very expensive camera tho. If you went to the cops and said someone stole my 120$ camera but I have tracked them here they would probably laugh you out of the station. I worked that out at BWS when someone just picked up a box of beer and walked out. I was told " what you want us to do". So there's our answer
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 14 Oct 2024, 5:33 pm

More to find out the who and where.

Was talking with a farmer about break ins to his shed the other day and the cops weren’t interested in doing anything to catch them.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 15 Oct 2024, 6:12 am

Coxy383 wrote:
animalpest wrote:Went to my (mostly) bush block today. Cameras set in the middle of 350 acres bush stolen. Again. Trespassing hunters on foot.

What can actually be done ya reckon. Getting out of hand

I've had the same dilemma about some of the cameras we deploy along the main road; what if they see and destroy/take the cameras?
I keep thinking that if they are using a spotlight, there's a good chance they might see a flash from the camera itself reflecting the spotlight.
Havent had anyone actually take/harrass any of the cameras (yet), but I am half-expecting

Most of our country isnt in mobile coverage, so I cant get the camera to send me pics as it gets removed.
One thought is an obvious camera, and a hidden camera to get pics of the person who hassles the first camera.
But how far do you go with that? [Camera watching a camera watching a camera watching a camera??]

There are some cameras on the market that create a 'mesh' network through their own wireless network; they can send imagery back along the chain of cameras to base.
I think those cameras can 'talk' to each other up to ~5kms apart line-of-sight.
[I've been interested in them for monitoring a few water troughs that are a few kms apart.]
Appealing as far as the images of the culprits are already sent before they reach the camera, but expensive to do.
And you sacrifice a fairly expensive camera in the off-chance you get an image that can convict someone..
It also bugs me that you have to spend so much money on pulling Phukwits into line...

Shame a good old Dingo Cannon isnt legal these days....Sigh.
Jorlcrin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Fester » 15 Oct 2024, 3:32 pm

I asked a bloke how he deals with them as it's getting so bad now.

He was a very accomplished bow hunter and said he used to stalk in with a 12gauge.
They would leave at a very fast speed every time.

He reckons he is now surrounded by hippy types so they would have to get through their blocks before they get to his.

It seems the only way because if the law can't or won't protect your home, it's up to you to do it your selves.
If the block is big, you may need those exy cameras to send alerts as you would know where they come in and being low scum, they prob leave a trail of trash.

As long as you don't shoot them it's just, "But officer, I regularly control pests with the shotty. How was I to know trespassing poachers were on my land"
Fester
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by noneyabussiness » 15 Oct 2024, 3:59 pm

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msHzzXe

Not sure of distance your needing, but my driveway alone is a k long, so I have one of these rigged up via a solar panel and a ethernet connected camera... even if the f#$ers damage the camera I get a alert instantly and can fly up there...

you can also set them up over very long distances by " relaying " them, increases your ping times etc but for a security camera it's virtually instant ..

hope this helps someone
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 15 Oct 2024, 4:37 pm

Fester wrote:I asked a bloke how he deals with them as it's getting so bad now.

He was a very accomplished bow hunter and said he used to stalk in with a 12gauge.

He reckons he is now surrounded by hippy types so they would have to get through their blocks before they get to his.

It seems the only way because if the law can't or won't protect your home, it's up to you to do it your selves.
If the block is big, you may need those exy cameras to send alerts as you would know where they come in and being low scum, they prob leave a trail of trash.

As long as you don't shoot them it's just, "But officer, I regularly control pests with the shotty. How was I to know trespassing poachers were on my land"

If you think that statement will save your licence and firearms you are sadly mistaken.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Oct 2024, 9:53 pm

deye243 wrote:
Fester wrote:I asked a bloke how he deals with them as it's getting so bad now.

If you think that statement will save your licence and firearms you are sadly mistaken.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
And,,,,It's been proven,,,,, the most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were all canines.
Whilst in most cases ignorance should be excused,,,,,,, stupididty simply cannot.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Oct 2024, 10:12 pm

What are you blokes imagining he is going to do with the 12g ?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
A bit more bang is better.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 16 Oct 2024, 1:49 am

Doesn't matter what he does if he alarms or intimidateds a member of the public scum bucket or not he's done .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Oct 2024, 9:19 am

The lack of effort by police regarding a lot of the posts I’ve read will probably result in vigilante justice, with the frustrated vigilante being charged. This has probably happened many times already. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I’m not advocating taking the law into your own hands, but sympathy with property owners is at the forefront of my views. Property owners getting together as a group and approaching their local elected politician publicly demanding action from police is the only way I can see this problem being addressed legally.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Oct 2024, 9:35 am

bigrich wrote:The lack of effort by police regarding a lot of the posts I’ve read will probably result in vigilante justice, with the frustrated vigilante being charged. This has probably happened many times already. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I’m not advocating taking the law into your own hands, but sympathy with property owners is at the forefront of my views. Property owners getting together as a group and approaching their local elected politician publicly demanding action from police is the only way I can see this problem being addressed legally.

Thumbs-up .jpg
Thumbs-up .jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 68 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
A bit more bang is better.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 16 Oct 2024, 10:05 am

I remember when I was a young fella; we had a local Roo-Sooter who was partial to wandering 'wherever the roos took him', and later claiming he'd got lost, if called out about it.

After a repeated bout of him wandering across our Western paddocks, this gent found my dad and I one afternoon; looking over the tracks turning off the main road into our country at the boundary grid.
Gent pulled up, and (nervously) asked Dad what we were doing?
Dad said that because of the rampant poaching, he was figuring out where he was going to bury (flat)grader cutting edges with sharpened spikes welded to them; at random spots on our tracks.
Poachers eyes went wide, and he mumbled something about 'that would be rather a nasty thing to do'...
While staring at the gent, Dad said he couldnt see it being a problem for anyone who knew where they were located...
Gent mumbled something about needing to be elsewhere, and I note the poaching (from this gent at least) withered away.

Another time was a few years later.
We had sod-all aircon in the house at that stage, and so Dad had taken to sleeping on a stretcher he'd set up in the paddock; some 3kms from the house, and about 200m off the main road.
Hed drive up there after dinner in the van, fold out his mattress and bedding onto his stretcher, and get the best nights sleep he'd had for years; under the stars.

One village idiot roo-shooter decided to poach on his way through one night, only crapped himself to find an irate elderly gent in jim-jams at his window.
Dad tells this young bloke 'Phuk Off, Mate; THEY'RE ALL PETS!'.
Young blood was so astonished, that he departed at speed, and the stories of weird evening encounters along this road floated around the district for the next few years..
Jorlcrin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey