Is a .357 magnum lever action enough gun for Pigs?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Is a .357 magnum lever action enough gun for Pigs?

Post by Seamus » 10 Jan 2022, 6:47 pm

Hello,

My next purchase will be a lever action. I’m looking at getting a rifle chambered in .357 magnum which will allow me to shoot .38 special for plinking which would be cheaper than .44 magnum.

I am wondering if the .357 magnum will be enough to handle feral pigs.

I will eventually end up doing my own hand loads with 158 through to 180 gr pills. Any advice would be appreciated, especially any recipes for hand loads.

Cheers,

Seamus
Seamus
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Is a .357 magnum lever action enough gun for Pigs?

Post by bigpete » 11 Jan 2022, 7:39 pm

I have mates who hunt pigs way more than me swear by them
bigpete
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Jan 2022, 7:45 pm

Small to medium at close range then no problem.
Not sure on a big bastard though.
If you are handloading then the 44mag is not much dearer and definitely more gruntier (no pun intended).
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2022, 8:12 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Small to medium at close range then no problem.
Not sure on a big bastard though.
If you are handloading then the 44mag is not much dearer and definitely more gruntier (no pun intended).

.357 is not really lacking at close range, even better from a 24" barrel, but the .44 is _so_ much more, even from a carbine, and you can always load it down to .357 levels when you want to play around.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by boingk » 11 Jan 2022, 9:10 pm

What those guys said. 357 won't be an issue on most pigs, but a very large one may need a follow-up if shot placement isn't ideal.

The 44 is a brilliant cartridge in a lever, loving my little 16" barrel Citadel at the moment. I've got a mate who's taken everything from bunnies to Buffalo with a Chiappa takedown levergun in 44 mag using nothing but Magtech factory softpoints, and you can handload a fair bit over that power level, too.

If you want a 357 I wouldn't hold back, just be aware that if you're after larger critters it may be lacking. Projectile selection becomes a bit more critical and I would have dedicated hunting and plinking loads figured out ahead of a trip

FWIW, I'm in much the same boat and am thinking if getting a 357 to compliment my 44.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2022, 9:19 pm

I used one for a while with open sights never was it lacking at close range. Never had one run off wounded .. it was a long time ago. I think I shot at least sixty pigs. Sierras and xtps
Blr243
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bill » 11 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm

the 357 Mag will be fine for 90% of the pigs you'll encounter inside 100m, just dont expect it to stop a decent boar past that unless broadside :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 12 Jan 2022, 4:13 pm

Bill wrote:the 357 Mag will be fine for 90% of the pigs you'll encounter inside 100m, just dont expect it to stop a decent boar past that unless broadside :thumbsup:

Yes . Agreed. BUT I learnt my lesson a while back while hunting pig. The 357 was ok but I ended up buying a 30/30. At close range it did a better job in my opinion.
Bugman
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by CRF » 12 Jan 2022, 4:15 pm

I tossed up the same, in the end logic took over and I bought a 30-30.
CRF
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 15 Jan 2022, 11:48 am

I don't know if a 357 would suffice in all scenarios. Check out this video, some of these pigs against a 12gauge taking multiple rounds at close range. I personally like to use a 45/70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHZM9f ... e=youtu.be
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 17 Jan 2022, 9:19 am

a 357 lever gun makes the round perform well just make sure you use good rounds most are made for pistols and will pick up much
more speed from a rifle go with good hunting round if you hand load you can do a lot
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

United States of America

Post by yoshie » 19 Jan 2022, 10:14 pm

357 will penetrate well with good quality bullets, (think punching through matted hair and mud), the 44 doesn't penetrate as well but hits with more than enough to make up for it and then some. Once you're reloading the cost difference in ammo cost isn't that different.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics