6.5x52mm Carcano

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

6.5x52mm Carcano

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2016, 2:42 pm

So, I took my father-in-law's 1940 Remington 510 .22 into town to transfer it to my licence...and came home with two more rifles - he saw me coming from a long way off ;-)
An M91/38 Short Rifle in 6.5x52mm, 21" barrel and cavalry sling swivels.
And an M38 Husqvarna (turned-down bolt handle) in 6.5x55mm, 24" barrel, scoped with a 4x32 Nikko Stirling Silver Crown.

The Carcano I've been wanting mainly to try the cartridge out, but he spotted me glancing at the Swede as well and tossed me a deal I couldn't refuse.
Both look like they've done plenty of work, which is exactly how I like to see military rifles.
I owned a sporterised M96 and an original M38 (Carl Gustav - straight bolt handle) as a kid and I hope this one shoots as well as they did, both were tack drivers though.
But the Carcano is a new one for me, although straight away it strikes me as a great pig rifle more than anything else.
So, if you're familiar with these and want to offer some insight on the rifle or the cartridge I'm all ears, particularly on whether you've had any success with .264" bullets in the .268" Carcano bore.

It'll be a week or two before I have dies and brass and find some .268" bullet moulds.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: 6.5x52mm Carcano

Post by Tripod » 14 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

I am in the same boat and haven't shot mine yet either, I did pick up some loaded ammo at $25 a box to get me started. CBE do .268 moulds.
Tripod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by happyhunter » 14 Oct 2016, 6:27 pm

Bit of history behind the Carcano. JFK and Mussolini's assassinations come to mind.
happyhunter
Major
Major

Other

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 14 Oct 2016, 6:38 pm

I'm fairly sure that PPU make a .268 load for the Carcano
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2016, 7:08 pm

Tripod wrote:I am in the same boat and haven't shot mine yet either, I did pick up some loaded ammo at $25 a box to get me started. CBE do .268 moulds.

An advantage to having two 6.5's is I can try the .264" bullets in the Carcano and if they don't work I can still use them in the Swede :-)
For a start I need to see if I can buy some #2 Buck shotshells so I can slug the bore, would be good to sort that tomorrow.
I'm going to order 6.5x55mm Collet Dies first and see if I can use those to neck-size the 6.5x52mm brass as I don't think anybody does collet dies in 6.5x52mm.
CBE do two moulds at $174 each with handles, which is pretty steep for the amount of work I'm likely to do with them. I might look at making a .268" sizing die and see if I can push some 7mm cast bullets through it.
I'll make a list of every .264" and .268" mould I can find.
And I'm going through sites tonight listing every 6.5mm bullet I can find.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2016, 7:14 pm

happyhunter wrote:Bit of history behind the Carcano. JFK and Mussolini's assassinations come to mind.

Yep, this is the same model that killed 25% of all assassinated US presidents.
I don't think it was used on Musso though, he was machinegunned I think.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 14 Oct 2016, 7:15 pm

Strange as it may seem swaging them down doesn't work as well as bumping them up, When you swage them down you get a bit of spring back in the jacket which can leave the core loose, Bumping them up means the lead core is expanded tight inside the jacket.
Tripod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2016, 7:30 pm

Tripod wrote:Strange as it may seem swaging them down doesn't work as well as bumping them up, When you swage them down you get a bit of spring back in the jacket which can leave the core loose, Bumping them up means the lead core is expanded tight inside the jacket.

I'm talking about cast lead bullets though.
I did bounce some ideas for bumping jacketed bullets up four-thou off my girlfriend tonight though :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2016, 7:40 pm

bentaz wrote:http://www.osaaustralia.com.au/products/projectiles/rifle-projectiles/6-5mm-268-caliber-268-carcano/
hornady make a bullet for the carcano

First one I found :-)
I'll post a list once I get it together, maybe others will find it useful.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2016, 9:35 pm

Carcano 6.5x52mm jacketed bullets.
Out of 29 manufacturers these are all I've found in .268":
Hornady 160gn RN
PPU 123gn SPRN
PPU 139gn FMJBT

When I get through the lead bullets and moulds I'll add them.

I've found 146 jacketed bullets available in .264" though.
Interestingly, PPU seem to differentiate their 6.5x55mm bullets as .263".
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2016, 9:42 pm

I forgot.
PPU offers 6.5x52mm ammunition in 123gn and 139gn .268", but they also offer the 156gn .263" loaded ammo so maybe standard 6.5mm bullets work just fine in the Carcano?
Attachments
PPU 6.5x52mm carcano ammo.JPG
PPU 6.5x52mm carcano ammo.JPG (84.58 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Oct 2016, 4:01 am

G'day bladeracer,
You will be very unlikely to have any joy using .264 in the Tomato Stake. Dozens of us over many years have failed to get consistency in the overwhelming majority of rifles/short rifles/carbines. A very few shot ok, but all shot considerably better using surplus ammo, and many shot very well using .268 handloads. The Hornady bullet is very good, with more than a few Mauser K98 fanboys cracking it when losing to a FAT42 or an early 91. I only have 3 Carcano's and a 1915 converted Vetterli, but all of them need the .268 to be consistent at 300 meters, Save the hassle and start with the Hornady, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2016, 5:00 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
You will be very unlikely to have any joy using .264 in the Tomato Stake. Dozens of us over many years have failed to get consistency in the overwhelming majority of rifles/short rifles/carbines. A very few shot ok, but all shot considerably better using surplus ammo, and many shot very well using .268 handloads. The Hornady bullet is very good, with more than a few Mauser K98 fanboys cracking it when losing to a FAT42 or an early 91. I only have 3 Carcano's and a 1915 converted Vetterli, but all of them need the .268 to be consistent at 300 meters, Save the hassle and start with the Hornady, Cheers.

That's the sort of information I'm looking for :-)
Hornady is my starting point for sure, but I want to chase up some of those PPU bullets as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Oct 2016, 10:27 pm

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Oct 2016, 1:21 pm

Interesting vid bladeracer :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Oct 2016, 7:43 pm

Yes, one of the more unusual bolt-action to semi-auto conversions I've seen.

I managed to slug the bore today.
0.268"
Which is good in as much as it's not overly worn.
I read that some Carcano's have turned up chambered in 6.5x54mm Mannlicher Shoenauer with the .264" bore, which can be a problem if you fire full-power .268" Carcano 6.5x52mm jacketed loads in it.
I'm going to do a chamber cast regardless, but for now I'm fairly confident it is indeed 6.5x52mm.
I got 6.5x55mm brass today but I'm still waiting on the 6.5x52mm stuff so I can try some .264" bullets and see if they work.

I also got an MDT LSS chassis for my Ruger American's today. Waiting on the buffer tube and a ten-round mag and then I'll shoot some 7mm-08 groups.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 21 Oct 2016, 8:28 am

Hey bladeracer, Did you get any loading clips with your Carcano? I didn't and can't find any local to me. Does anyone on here have any spares?
Tripod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 21 Oct 2016, 8:49 am

Tripod wrote:Hey bladeracer, Did you get any loading clips with your Carcano? I didn't and can't find any local to me. Does anyone on here have any spares?

I got one with the rifle, he bought it separately as he knew he'd never sell the rifle without a clip.
And I have ten coming from the US, I can send you some of those when they arrive, I'm never going to need ten of them but I'm sure I'm capable of losing them easily enough :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics